Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is kinda early to tell, but has anyone else noticed the lack of that horrible black brake dust residue on your hybrid wheels?
I usually wash our cars myself every week or two and so far there has been none of it on the wheels. That alone makes this car worthwhile to me. I have spent a lot of time and effort cleaning the wheels on our other cars and don't miss that at all:D

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is kinda early to tell, but has anyone else noticed the lack of that horrible black brake dust residue on your hybrid wheels?
I usually wash our cars myself every week or two and so far there has been none of it on the wheels. That alone makes this car worthwhile to me. I have spent a lot of time and effort cleaning the wheels on our other cars and don't miss that at all:D
Over 10,000 miles on ours and I've only cleaned a light amount of brake dust a few times. When I rotated the tires and checked the brakes and pads I noticed very little wear. Surprising considering all of the repeated braking in heavy traffic that I do.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
That's why I stick to the Advics OEM brake pads. I believe they are ceramic. After nearly 49,000 miles, there has been very little noticeable brake dust on my alloy rims. And they clean up easy during a wash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've noticed non on my Rav either...and it doesn't get washed as often as it should.

My Prius never had any either, and it had the original brakes at 70k when i traded it in.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
No brake dust on my '11 RAV's alloy rims. Disc brakes shed little dust compared with drum brakes, although that depends on how hard one is on their brakes. Since the hybrid employs regenerative braking the brakes themselves should be used less than with a conventional powertrain and system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Rav4 is our 4th Toyota and I've never really noticed brake dust as a problem with any of them. German cars, OTOH, practically turn their chrome wheels black. It's all in the pad formulation. Softer pads improve performance at the expense of wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts