Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the market for a 2015 RAV4 XLE and the only concern that we have is the lack of rear AC vents. We have 2 kids and live in south Louisiana where it is extremely hot during the summer.

Is the lack of rear AC vents going to be an issue? Anyone else in a similar climate with any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The center vent does a good job of blowing between the front seats.
The entire cabin is quite comfortable, to the point that on our vacation through Texas, New Mexico, and AZ last week, I'd set the climate control to 68 only long enough to put a chill on the cabin and would then move it up to 72.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue. I agree that the centre mounted vent on top of the dash does its job well. These arent the front facing vents, but designed into the top face to blow into the rear. I also find that the ravs air is super cold. Even on humid days and over 100F after a short time we have the air on the lowest setting. It's almost too cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
Seems I read here those vents/ducts to the rear are for heat only but I'm not positive of that.

I live in South Texas with Mexico just the other side of town so I know about heat and humidity. There are no problems here with either of our RAV4's blowing enough cold air to the back seat. The only minor glitch I've come across is our Base model only has four speeds for the fan. Speed 4 is too much/loud but 3 is not quite enough volume, 1 & 2 are totally useless.

Mine is the Limited so it has 7 fan speeds (I think) so no problem there. They both do the job and cool very quickly. I understand the 4.4 models do not cool as quickly as the previous generation but I have no experience with that. Others owners have mentioned it.

Our Fearless Leader JuneBug lives in Baton Rouge and has not commented negatively about the air conditioning in his ride. I'm WAY farther south than that.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
Yes, as RTexasF has mentioned, I live in a hot, muggy subtropical area and the RAV4 auto climate control performs very well. I have never had a complaint from my back seat passengers.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I understand the 4.4 models do not cool as quickly as the previous generation but I have no experience with that. Others owners have mentioned it.
I think it's more perception than anything.

IF you leave the car in ECO mode, it does negatively impact the operation of the AC system.
In normal (or sport) modes, the system does not turn on immediately. It gradually ramps up the fan speed as the evaporator cools.

Honestly, it's nice not to get a hot blast in the face when the key is turned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My rear a/c vent only blows air from the left hand side. The right side has plastic inside the vent that prevents air from blowing thru it. It appears as if this was something that was supposed to be removed from the factory but wasn't. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
My rear a/c vent only blows air from the left hand side. The right side has plastic inside the vent that prevents air from blowing thru it. It appears as if this was something that was supposed to be removed from the factory but wasn't. Is this normal?
Normal.

A larger vent would reduce the velocity of the air and it would not effectively reach the rear of the cab.
The right side of the vent is cosmetic.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Just seemed odd that half of the vent is closed off.
My guess is when the engineers first tested the new dash, they found that too much air was coming out that center vent. So, they blocked off part of it to balance the air flow between all the vents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts