Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2016 Limiteds and certain XLEs and SEs have a feature called lane departure alert with steering assist. Can anyone describe the functionality of this? Does it sound an alarm and steer you back into your own lane? How abrupt is this action? Can you turn off the beeping and just let it autopilot for you?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
My son has this on his Jeep Cherokee. He says it will keep steering you back into the lane, but after a certain length of time with no input from the driver, it will start beeping incessantly until you wake up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The system can be turned off at different levels, you can have it fully on with a warning beep and steering assist (which steers you back easily and is not jerky whatsoever), you can turn the steering assistance off and just have it beep at you or you can completely have it turned off. You can also set the sensitivity/distance for the system to alert you when you veer near the lane marker. The system uses the camera to monitor lanes when available. The system does not work when there are poorly painted lanes or when weather is inclement such as a snow storm. The steer system works well for corrections but is not as robust as lets say the Tesla Model S that will drive its self to a certain extent. I only use the system on long highway trips as it personally annoys me around town where lane changes occur at a quicker pace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if the manual was merely being legally conservative. It's too bad the buzzer can't be turned off, because it appears that all the sensors required for mostly automated cruising are already included.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts