Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

lane departure

13K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  RAVDoug 
#1 ·
my rav4 lane departure alert is forcing the car off center line toward the curb constantly.

#9 · (Edited)
LDA and LTA are two different functions, LTA works with DRCC, LDA is part of LTA, you'd best read the owner's manual and learn how everything works, there are Toyota videos on Youtube that explain how each function works as well.

#10 ·
Land Departure Alert gives you a warning you are straying over a line without a turn signal on.

Lane Tracking Assist keeps you within the lines, puts resistance in the steering if you try to control when LTA is on.

My LTA keeps me to the left of what I think is the center between the boundary lines and it is especially annoying when an 18 wheeler is trying to blow by me in the left of me lane. I wonder if it is something that can be adjusted as an above poster says his keeps him too far right. But I like LDA and use LTA only on interstates.

#11 ·
Land Departure Alert gives you a warning you are straying over a line without a turn signal on.

Lane Tracking Assist keeps you within the lines, puts resistance in the steering if you try to control when LTA is on.

My LTA keeps me to the left of what I think is the center between the boundary lines and it is especially annoying when an 18 wheeler is trying to blow by me in the left of me lane. I wonder if it is something that can be adjusted as an above poster says his keeps him too far right. But I like LDA and use LTA only on interstates.
put a water bottle in the steering wheel and let the system drive itself...

:p:p:p:p

#14 ·
The LTA is a novelty whose practicality wears off pretty quickly. It works under ideal conditions, but if I've yet to have a daily commute in such ideal conditions. Just as I've had the Lane Departure Alert system in my 2016 prius turned off after the first couple of weeks, this stays off too unless I'm eyeing some pretty interesting skies.

#17 ·
Maybe for you. I use LTA for all my road trips and I don't see myself buying another car without it, unlike the digital mirror which turned out to be crappy feature.

Certainly it's not as good as Tesla's though, hopefully they can improve it with updates.

#21 ·
I think the LTA is deceptively terrible.

That is, it actually works really well in ideal conditions; better than the few other systems I’ve tried; so it makes you feel like it’s a more competent system than it is.

Trucks, line breaks, errant lines into jersey barriers, steering around bicycles - all of these situations make the car do something on its own that could be dangerous to the driver or others.

Last night I had LTA on just to see if maybe I had been too quick to dismiss it. I was on a highway that forked so I was traveling at a high speed, hugging the inside of the turn (with a large, clear shoulder). Well I guess I got too close to the line so LTA decided to nudge me away from the turn, which shifted the body weight out of the turn and made a sickening roll to the outside. I was thankful the RAV has a relatively good stance because that little move could have been worse with a higher center of gravity.

Screw LTA, there is no substitute to paying attention.

#22 ·
There is clearly misunderstand how current driving assist systems work and probably best to avoid for most. I don't even let my wife use it who also thinks the car should just drive itself in all conditions with a push of a button. They are not even close to being full autonomy and can only assist you. If you look at autonomy levels this is somewhere between level 1 and 2. Where Tesla is at 2 and reaching level 3.

Reactions: Quickdtoo
#24 ·
I haven’t had any issues with it forcing me towards the center line; if anything it nudges me the other way as I tend to drive pretty close to it. I’ve found it useful more times than it’s been annoying thus far personally so I leave it on. I’m not immune to the occasional distraction and it’s been helpful in those circumstances, especially as I am still getting used to the vehicle.

#25 ·
I now have a few hours of LTA use, even though I have over 2k miles on the car. There really is a learning curve. On long trips with good lane markings and light traffic, LTA definitely does cut down on work load, especially when combined with DRCC.

My first 6 hour road trip was half freeway, going from 70 to 0 to 70 mph due to heavy traffic and road contruction, followed by 3 hours of relatively empty 2 lane state highways 60 mph posted. I remember arriving at our destination and turning to my wife and saying that I feel half as tired as I normally do on that drive.

That was a revelation. It helped too that the hybid's 55 mph to 80 mph times feel exceptionally quick, cutting my 2 lane passing times in half compared to my 166hp CR-V.

#26 ·
You can take over the stearing any time you want just by turning the wheel and, since you are supposed to be in charge 100% of the time, just angle over when you are passing or another is passing you. I find LKA to be helpful and restful when there is no one else around but, when the going gets tough, I trust myself more. I spent too much time in the depths of computers to trust them with my life.

#27 ·
We learned to turn it off and keep it off pretty quickly (LTA). I did run into a legit safety concern, and have reported it. It does what it's supposed to, but isn't yet smart enough to decipher how to deal with one situation.

If you come along on a road and up to an intersection with a left turn and no left turn lane, and there's a short passing lane on the right for cars to get around you while you are parked waiting to turn left--I found the car wanted to follow the solid edge of the road line on the right rather than stay in it's lane.

That means it swerves right (fairly smoothly in my experience) and then as you approach the end of that passing lane it corrects back to the lane it should have been in all along--sharply! On slippery roads I can easily see a spin out occuring, and a startled non-attentive driver could overcorrect as well.

In the case I saw that, the road (tar) was fairly new, and paint lines on the road were bright and clear. The main lane had a dashed painted line on the right for the duration of the "pass on the right" lane, and as mentioned a solid line on the far right of the road.

LTA is also annoying as it doesn't do anything different when you are in a lane and an oncoming car comes at you from the opposite direction in the adjacent lane. Many people--me included I found out--veer slightly to the right until that car passes. Still within the lane. LTA does not and it feels as if it's too close. I do not trust oncoming drivers to not veer over the center line anymore, don't think anyone should. Every year around here people get killed like that and the cause is often not impairment.

LTA is kind of nerve-racking and I can't drive with it on.

#28 ·
I find I just veer away from the oncoming car on the 2 lane road. Yes it resists. So I press a bit harder. I use the LTA only on well marked roads and expect it to need my intervention if the markings go bad or in cases of construction. If I use my turn signal, the LTA lets me pick the lane I want to turn into without any warnings. To me, it is matter of me learning its capabilities and then using them to help me. I don't expect it to be perfect and drive the car for me.

#29 ·
I noted an interesting comparison when car shopping regarding the crop of current safety equipment assist features.

Honda dealership with CRV's--even though it was just a test drive, salesman told me they were being asked to fully explain the assist features to buyers. Part of that might be to avoid an accident on the test drive--their take was that they had a ton of complaints (sound familiar?) after they rolled out their new safety assist features (they beat Toyota in having them a few years earlier I think) even though the systems were working as intended. Honda ultimately decided they had to spend more time with customers explaining how the assist features work and what they don't do.

Very little in the way of that at the Toyota dealer in comparison. (Test drove several hybrids and a regular gas version, three different dealerships). Probably should be spending that time with their customers too.

#30 ·
My 2020 RAV4 Hybrid has about 1,900 miles on it. I have similar issues with the LDA/LTA while using the radar cruise control. On roads with well-marked lanes it constantly goes from one side of the lane to the other, rather than just tracking along one side, or the middle. It is a constant battle with the steering wheel. It also regularly, with me holding pressure on the wheel, steers me to the edge of the lane and then signals that I'm drifting. This occurs on well-marked roads and

Yesterday I just drove 54 miles to the dealer and battled it the entire way on the highway. They gave me a 2019 Camry loaner and the service manager asked me to see if it operated differently than the RAV. The Camry worked perfectly and there was no battle at all.

I took it in because the fuel tank is not filling completely and the distance to empty ranges from 523 to 463 miles after filling.

#31 ·
My 2020 RAV4 Hybrid has about 1,900 miles on it. I have similar issues with the LDA/LTA while using the radar cruise control. On roads with well-marked lanes it constantly goes from one side of the lane to the other, rather than just tracking along one side, or the middle. It is a constant battle with the steering wheel. It also regularly, with me holding pressure on the wheel, steers me to the edge of the lane and then signals that I'm drifting. This occurs on well-marked roads and

Yesterday I just drove 54 miles to the dealer and battled it the entire way on the highway. They gave me a 2019 Camry loaner and the service manager asked me to see if it operated differently than the RAV. The Camry worked perfectly and there was no battle at all.

I took it in because the fuel tank is not filling completely and the distance to empty ranges from 523 to 463 miles after filling.
My 2020 does the same thing while using LDA/LTA . Pretty much useless. I thought they all did that since I haven't driven any other vehicles with this feature. What is the dealer going to do? Please post how this gets resolved.

#32 ·
Mine is rock steady on what seems to me to be the left side of the lane but that may just be the view I'm getting. The point being that mine is very steadily on that side on long stretches of the interstate when I'm using it and am on cruise control. Could one of the sensors be wobbling on yours? It isn't moving from side to side on all the cars.

#33 ·
As noted earlier my LTA is pretty steady but to close to the left side of the lane. I talked with Toyota t find out if there was an adjustment to reposition the car in the lane. They said there was and they contacted the dealer (who had told me that he did not think it could be adjusted) and informed him that they would work with him to teach him how to make the adjustment. I take the car in for its 5k service and to have the LTA adjusted. I'll report back how it goes.

#36 ·
My first experience with LTA was my test drive on a fairly wide open freeway. I didn’t know it even existed, let alone that it was turned on. I was pretty upset as I thought the car needed an alignment really badly because it felt like it was fighting me for control! Once I complained, the sales guy looked over and told me how to turn it off. Then everything was fine. I’ve tried it one more time and almost immediately turned it off again.
Too bad there’s no way for it to self adjust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.