Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 SWB drop top to drive around on Australian dirt roads out near Kosciusko and I'm trying to sort the biggest rubber I can get onto the spare. I'm going to buy an Old Man Emu 1.25 inch lift and roll the fenders if I need to, but the limiting factor is oddly looking to be the outboard rear center tail light.

How big a tyre can I get under that tail light? And how easy is it to relocate that tail light higher to get something larger onto the back? Do I need to weld and extend wiring (don't own a welder or a soldering iron here in Aus so that'll be difficult.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
An easy math problem!

Measure from the center of the spare mount to the light, then double that number.

My 225/70R-16 All terrains are 29 inches tall. They do a great job off road with no rubbing or mods needed. I have the Old Man Emu kit and really like the ride and handling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking more of a sand and snow tyre because I'm also commuting in Canberra with my RAV. A/T's are too loud on tarmac in my experience.

Has anyone tried to relocate that rear tail light to get more clearance? I work out on community some (western NSW not the NT or WA where I need a land cruiser or anything) and I really want to make sure my spare is the same size as whatever I stuff underneath here.

And is there anywhere in the ACT or Queanbeyan that will test fitment for cheap/free? Canberra shops seem to delight in overcharging because public servants just bleed cash, so I worry they might not.

One last bit: is there a decent wrecker to get odds and ends like ARB bullbars from in the greater Canberra region? All the ones I see on eBay are out in QLD.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
Just a bit of advise if you go over 29" even with the OME lift kit you will have rubbing. I know, I have a set that are 29.9" and I have scrubbing on the front lower inner fire wall. I tried spacers but no joy. I had to do a mod to the firewall to get them to work without scrubbing. But they fit fine on the tire mount on my 99 see https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8Coac1BMLVFYRS1aTUU.

Unless yours are mounted differently somehow by that same guy that put your steering wheel on the wrong side. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue is clearance with that outboard taillight on my convertible (your tail light is in a different spot.) I've got factory spec tyres on here right now and there's only a few more centimeters of clearance before it bumps that housing. I reckoned maybe I could move it somehow to get 235/70r16s or 225/70r16s onto the spare tyre mount.

I don't mind buying another cloth spare cover since they're cheap as --and I'll be hanging a jerry can on the spare when I take trips because it's much too far between petrol stations out west.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The 225 will be 6.5mm or a quarter-inch closer to the light than the stock 215 tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it seems that since the overall increase I can get is relatively minor even with a significant lift, then I'll be able to put anything that actually fits without scraping on the mount and not block the center tail light.

Good to know, I'll do the lift and tyres this holiday weekend!

Thanks you guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've stuffed 235/70r16s under here and they fit lock to lock without a lift. Spare fits under the light (barely) but I'll need another cloth tyre cover.

I'm pleased. Will still be lifting but until then these still work rather well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good deal! Enjoy them.

The rear lift is very easy to install using the OME kit. Once you take the shocks loose, the springs lift out and the new ones drop in.

The front end is a little more work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a bit of a headache with getting a lift kit. There is no convertible kit and after I got parts in, I discovered the only kit left on the market here (besides cheapie eBay kits) was a 40mm 5 door wagon kit from Tough Dog.

Whatever --I shoved it in yesterday. Hasn't settled yet, so it won't stay this tall, but it's up in the sky doing mean Aussie lean (road authority here requires lift kits lean the vehicle forwards so they ride level when carrying their officially rated suspension load.)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a bit of a headache with getting a lift kit. There is no convertible kit and after I got parts in, I discovered the only kit left on the market here (besides cheapie eBay kits) was a 40mm 5 door wagon kit from Tough Dog.

Whatever --I shoved it in yesterday. Hasn't settled yet, so it won't stay this tall, but it's up in the sky doing mean Aussie lean (road authority here requires lift kits lean the vehicle forwards so they ride level when carrying their officially rated suspension load.)
What's the ride and handling like with the Tough Dog kit? Considering getting one for my 5dr but I couldn't find much feedback online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the ride and handling like with the Tough Dog kit? Considering getting one for my 5dr but I couldn't find much feedback online.
I've put about 1000km on it since I got it, and I kinda wish I'd splurged on the adjustable dampeners and struts. It's not a huge issue, but the rear shocks are a bit stiffer than I'd like because it's designed for a 5 door and not my short wheel base convertible.

Road holding is excellent for a lifted SUV/CUV and it's quite competent offroad. I take it into the dirt at least once a week and it's made a marked improvement in how far into the bush I can travel. I am driving down roads the government in New South Wales rates as 4 wheel drive only on a regular basis without issue. Yesterday out camping I even did a few creek crossings and jumped a few small logs near pidgin house mountain.

In short, it's a legit offroad kit but it rides like an off road kit in my convertible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've put about 1000km on it since I got it, and I kinda wish I'd splurged on the adjustable dampeners and struts. It's not a huge issue, but the rear shocks are a bit stiffer than I'd like because it's designed for a 5 door and not my short wheel base convertible.

Road holding is excellent for a lifted SUV/CUV and it's quite competent offroad. I take it into the dirt at least once a week and it's made a marked improvement in how far into the bush I can travel. I am driving down roads the government in New South Wales rates as 4 wheel drive only on a regular basis without issue. Yesterday out camping I even did a few creek crossings and jumped a few small logs near pidgin house mountain.

In short, it's a legit offroad kit but it rides like an off road kit in my convertible.
What's the body roll like after the lift compared to stock? Sounds like it's a good'un, might splurge for the adjustable rears on my 5dr as well just for the sake of comfort when I want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the body roll like after the lift compared to stock?
Rear suspension was flogged when I bought it, so I'm not sure what factory body roll is, but it feels like a pretty minor increase over stock. I can tell it's lifted but it sure doesn't feel top heavy like a jacked Nissan Patrol or Holden Jackaroo.

... might splurge for the adjustable rears on my 5dr as well just for the sake of comfort when I want it.
Not a bad idea. One commutes more than one drives off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts