Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
that's great! i dont remember, do you have a 4x2 or 4x4? i can't use the cruise control until 400 more miles (recommended by the toyota dealership)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am getting between 24 and 28mpg. I reckon it happens because nobody drives 65 around here, there's just no way. Traffic rolls around 75 on I-120, I-205, and 80 at I-580. Driving 55 is suicidal anywhere except the right lane.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Fill up your tank and reset the trip odometer in the instrument cluster to zero. At the next fill, note the number of miles your trip odometer shows, divide by the number of gallons it takes to fill up, and the result is mpg for that tank.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fill all the way up. (Its easier to pump it yourself) and reset trip odometer. Driver untill you need gas again and fill up again noting how many gallons it takes to fill. Divide the amount of miles into the gallons it took to fill it. Thats your gas mileage.
ex. you went 250 miles and it took 8.5 gallons to refill. Divide 250 into 8.5 and you are getting 29.4 mpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Despite the weight penalty of the 4.3 over the 4.2 and the larger frontal surface area, it is not surprising that the 4.3 doesn't consume more juice than the 4.2 due to the following changes I can think of...

The 4.3 has part time 4WD. 2WD most of the time cuts down friction and drag.

Electric power steering. Which draws 12V juice only when needed unlike the older power steering system that is constantly sapping power from the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rav4WD said:
Electric power steering. Which draws 12V juice only when needed unlike the older power steering system that is constantly sapping power from the crankshaft pulley.
Well the real reason they did that imho is not for mileage but so that next year they can have a hybrid. hybrids must have electric power steering 'cuz the gas engine might be off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pretty much all of the Japanese cars are now converting to electric power steering. Mazda for example, like the Mazda2, Honda Civic (non hybrid models), S2000 and NSX and cars from other manufacturers. If you ask me, I am quite sure that there is a significant mileage benefit with electric power steering and it frees up a few horses at the same time. Furthermore, the technology is already there. The R&D has been done thanks to the earlier cars like NSX, S2000 and the hybrids.

Edited: Amend the NSX and S2000.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, Ok, so maybe just having electric power steering isn't enough foreshadowing to predict a hybrid. But that space in the rear where the 3rd row seats would fold down (and that's empty space without that option) sure would be a great place to throw some batteries :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
flyingn
Coming back froma trip all highway and cruise control set at speed limit (55 and 65 mph) we got exactly 30 mpg at 1000 miles of break in miles:)
If you want maximum performance from your 4, this is not a good break-in procedure. You should VARY your engine speed as this contributes to even cylinder wear and break in. You should "run it up" every now and then too, just stay a safe distance below the redline.

·
Registered
271 Posts
According to the vehicle manual, it requires 500 miles for breaking in. I wonder when we should start using cruise control.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at 1000 miles it past the point of 'break in' according to toyota. 500 miles is their point. Don't worry all is fine with my engine:)

Omega Man said:
flyingn
Coming back froma trip all highway and cruise control set at speed limit (55 and 65 mph) we got exactly 30 mpg at 1000 miles of break in miles:)
If you want maximum performance from your 4, this is not a good break-in procedure. You should VARY your engine speed as this contributes to even cylinder wear and break in. You should "run it up" every now and then too, just stay a safe distance below the redline.

·
Registered
167 Posts
OK - so my first fill up I recorded mileage, which was between about 625 and 890 miles or so on the RAV total, I got about 20.9mpg (don't have the exact figures in front of me right now).

This last fillup, between about 890 and 1200 miles on the odo, I got about 23.9mpg.

Loving this and can't wait for it to continue to improve as the break-in process completes on the engine and she gets her first oil change.

I'm guessing I have a touch heavier of a leadfoot than flyingn so don't expect to get their mileage, but this is great for me because it's already a 3mpg increase per gallon compared to my old car and it will only get better from here.

This is w/ the 4x4 Limited.

·
Registered
167 Posts
True flyingn, forgot those numbers came from your vacation trip on all highway driving.

FYI - no biggie but it's vigil, not virgil. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts