Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 2022 LE FWD have full speed adaptive cruise control that keeps working in slow gridlock traffic or does it drop out below 25 mph?

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
79 Posts
All 2022 models have Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, which includes full speed dynamic range cruise control, so it will come to a complete stop. How well it will be in gridlock traffic is debatable because if it comes to a full stop you have to tap the accelerator or press the resume button.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I expect it works like the ACC on my '18 Accord. If the car ahead comes to a complete stop for maybe 5 seconds "STOPPED" is displayed and I have to touch the gas to reengage. Altho I use it most on the highway I really like it in crawling traffic since it maintains a safe gap automatically.

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
79 Posts
Yeah exactly like that! I had a BMW and it was 3 seconds. Personally I’m not a huge fan of continuously tapping the gas in stop and go traffic, but that’s just me. The system does what it says it does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All 2022 models have Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, which includes full speed dynamic range cruise control, so it will come to a complete stop. How well it will be in gridlock traffic is debatable because if it comes to a full stop you have to tap the accelerator or press the resume button.
Are you sure about that?
The most basic versions of the Camry have radar cruise control, but not full speed down to a full stop.
Higher Camry trims and hybrids have it, but not the base gas LE.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Supersonic Red
311 Posts
It works well when you're in stop and go traffic, but when you're coming up on a backup at speed, the car doesn't see the stopped cars ahead until the radar is within range. It seems to me like it acts similar to an inattentive driver. I'll either tap the brakes or press the cancel button and slow down normally, then reengage the cruise control when I'm in, or at least closer to the backup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's easy enough to test. Just come up to a car in front of you that's stopped at a light or whatever and see what happens. Obviously, cover (don't actually touch) the brake pedal with your foot and be ready to take over if it doesn't seem like it will stop in time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I expect it works like the ACC on my '18 Accord. If the car ahead comes to a complete stop for maybe 5 seconds "STOPPED" is displayed and I have to touch the gas to reengage.
Same here on my 2020 XLE, but it says "HOLD" with the symbol illuminated for the parking brake auto-hold function until you tap the gas to go.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,511 Posts
It works well when you're in stop and go traffic, but when you're coming up on a backup at speed, the car doesn't see the stopped cars ahead until the radar is within range. It seems to me like it acts similar to an inattentive driver. I'll either tap the brakes or press the cancel button and slow down normally, then reengage the cruise control when I'm in, or at least closer to the backup.
I read somewhere that the TSS only works with speed differentials of 20 MPH or less. Thus if you are going 30 or 40 MPH and come on stopped traffic (0 MPH), TSS doesn't work.

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
79 Posts
I read somewhere that the TSS only works with speed differentials of 20 MPH or less. Thus if you are going 30 or 40 MPH and come on stopped traffic (0 MPH), TSS doesn't work.
That makes sense from my experience. Dynamic cruise control works best if you’re moving and within decent range of another moving car. If you’re on cruise control and come up fast on another car, it might not work as intended. The car might still stop but because of emergency braking, not cruise control.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Then how does the pre-collision system work? It uses that same RADAR. If something runs/jumps out in front of you, it pretty much has a velocity of 0mph heading towards the vehicle yet it's still supposed to emergency panic stop fully.

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
79 Posts
Then how does the pre-collision system work? It uses that same RADAR. If something runs/jumps out in front of you, it pretty much has a velocity of 0mph heading towards the vehicle yet it's still supposed to emergency panic stop fully.
It won’t be a slow, controlled, civilized stop.
I also read somewhere that there’s a maximum speed the car can be going in order for it to come to a complete stop with emergency braking. Beyond that, it will just lower the speed of the collision rather than avoiding it fully.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,511 Posts
Then how does the pre-collision system work? It uses that same RADAR.
There is also an optical censor top center of windshield, in front of the rear view mirror. How the car integrates information from the two sensors, I don't know.

My Subaru has only optical sensors, no radar. There are two stereoscopic lenses top center of the windshield. I think my Subaru works better than the RAV4 system.

·
Registered
2017 Silver Sky Rav4 SE AWD; 2006 Red Solara Convertible
23 Posts
That makes sense from my experience. Dynamic cruise control works best if you’re moving and within decent range of another moving car. If you’re on cruise control and come up fast on another car, it might not work as intended. The car might still stop but because of emergency braking, not cruise control.
When I am on the hiway using my cruise control and I observe much slower traffic ahead before my radar does I simple cancel the cruse and keep off the gas until my speed is matched or close and then I reactivate the cruise and I save my brake pads in the process as well.

The stop and go feature is for just that, repetitive short stops not panic stops. The emergency stop is a different system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts