Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just bought a used 07 rav with 150k. Car runs great so far but I did notice some small drops of oil in my driveway. I checked the oil and it was a little low but looked very clean and clear. This is what I found…. I have a friend who thinks it could be tranny/diff fluid but wasn’t sure. I’m having a mechanic replace rotors and pads this weekend and would like to diagnose this ASAP! Any thoughts on what this could be?
Thanks guys, and looking forward to chatting with you all going forward!
Body jewelry Gesture Finger Wood Thumb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried about that, the only issue with this car was that it just had a rebuilt tranny. Hope I’m not screwed, it was a single owner car and looked clean…. The dealer did say I have a 6month warranty on the transmission though so fingers crossed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since my mechanic friend is already going to do the breaks Sunday I’m going to wait and see what he thinks it is for sure.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It is hard to say from looking at the pictures but when I expanded the picture (the 2nd one), it looks like a CV axle boot leaking The problem is that would be grease.... and in you earlier post, we were seeing oil. This needs to be completely cleaned and then the origin can be found. Unfortunately grease and oil can end up anywhere when driving due to strong air movement when moving.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,181 Posts
Your first post defo is not CV grease. As above a good clean and then inspect after driving. Hoping it is not the tranny or rear main seal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had my car at work all day and didn’t notice any spots when I left today so that’s good. I spoke with the dealer and he thought it might have just been due to messy work from the mechanic. I’m going to keep a close eye on it and do my best to clean it up. Only problem is that I don’t have a jack to properly get in there. Fingers crossed, and the rav is running great otherwise so that’s good.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Had my car at work all day and didn’t notice any spots when I left today so that’s good. I spoke with the dealer and he thought it might have just been due to messy work from the mechanic. I’m going to keep a close eye on it and do my best to clean it up. Only problem is that I don’t have a jack to properly get in there. Fingers crossed, and the rav is running great otherwise so that’s good.
One thing that I do is place fresh cardboard from a large box in my driveway (when dry weather is expected). I park the car so the engine and transmission is right over the cardboard. Then I can observe any oil spots there the next day. That way you can easily determine if you have a leak and can get some idea of how much it is leaking. Take a picture for reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts