Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a US spec 1998 RAV4, 4door 2WD. I have fuel leaking from above my gas tank. The owner before me patched a small hole that was on the top drivers side edge of the tank. I can visually see that the leak isn't coming from that. I have yet to drop the tank or inspect in the access port under the carpet but I suspect it may be a different hole that may have developed in the tank. I am mechanically incline, so I was just wondering if anyone has had an issue like and replaced their tank with a bigger gas tank? Even just in general found a bigger gas tank that may fit? Since my vehicle is 2WD I don't need the hump in the middle and can see that for the most part exhaust and other parts won't be in the way for a bigger tank. I'd like to increase my range capacity since I often do road trips in this vehicle. Does anyone know of a quality after market larger tank I can find? I have yet to find one. Thanks guys, any help, tips or even suggestions are encouraged!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
About the leak, some Gen. ! owners have reported that the gasoline filler neck through to the gas tank has corroded through. Don't know about replacing the tank with a larger one, but another member may know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the leak, some Gen. ! owners have reported that the gasoline filler neck through to the gas tank has corroded through. Don't know about replacing the tank with a larger one, but another member may know.
Thanks I've read some of those posts I'm positive it's not the filler neck at best it could be an o-ring for the fuel pump or something haven't had time to look it over yet, but as soon as I do I'll post it on here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: found the leak coming from a poorly fixed patch over a small hole in gas tank. Going to end up needing replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts