Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here, I've find some other useful advice here so I'm hoping I can get a few answers to a weird problem.

Ok so I've got a 1st Gen 1998 rav4, with 4 wheel drive an a manual transmission.

I appear to be leaking transmission fluid from where the transfer case connects to the transaxle, it's coming from near one of the bolts that connects the two together but I can't see very well. It's the bottom blue circle there on my picture. It's quite alot of fluid, a drip every few minuets. There also appears to be a bolt ontop of the transfer case that is only about 1/4 of the way in, and another that I can see a hole for but appears to be missing all together. I'm wondering if the shoddy mechanic didn't put the damn bolts all the way back in and that is what it causing my leak.

So my questions..
1. Dose anyone know if there is a seal of some kind between the transaxle and the transfer case or is there just a gasket?
2. Any idea how I get to the bolts ontop of that transfer case?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
As far as I know that isn't a common place for a tranny leak. On mine it was one of the tranny cooling lines that ruptured while driving at 70 mph and it destroyed my tranny. The usual places I know of are around the cooling lines, cv joint seals, drive shaft seal, and around the drain plugs. The drain plugs after a fluid change and you don't change the compression seal.

You mentioned a mechanic, have you recently had some maintenance in that area? If so it definitely sounds like he forgot to torque some bolts down so maybe he/she would be willing to make good on his carelessness. That upper bolt is hard to get to with the engine out of the car and if I remember right there is another one up there you cannot see that will peg out anyone's fun meter, I couldn't imagine trying to get in there with it in the car. Maybe with several short wobbly extensions you can get there.

Good luck with her, keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's for sure a weird place, I had the clutch done about 2 years ago, so it's possible it's been leaking for awhile and didn't notice. I would guess this is their doing but it's a used car and I haven't had it that long so It's hard to say. Could be that it's been like that for a long time but just now the gasket has started to deteriorate enough to leak. I've just replaced one of the cv axle seals and the drive shaft and other cv seal don't look like they are the source of the problem.

Any recommendations on getting to those bolts? I was wondering if I could get to them from above if I took off the distributor, air intake, maybe a few other things in the way.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I don't think you can get to that area from above. I'll go under "Carrie" in the morning and take a look and see what it takes to get to the those areas.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Sorry, I cut my hand deep and won't be able to try to get under Carrie today.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The surface between transmission and transfer-case is sealed with RTV/gasket maker on firt gen RAV4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found the source of the problem, there was a small hole in the transfer case right between those two bolts that had previously been patched. It just looks like a weird sort of dimple on the case in a weird spot but when I poked it a few times the patch fell off and revealed the hole. So my solution is to drain the transfer case, clean it as good as I can and JB weld the crap out of that hole and see it it holds. This will hopefully be the last repair I have to do on this beast as I will be selling it shortly. Thanks for the advice and answers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts