Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Leaking heater core. Bypass or block?

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a RAV4 L manufactured in japan in 1995. It's heater core has been damaged so I'm going to bypass or block the coolant hoses to the heater core.
When I spoke with my mechanical technician, he told me that it's better to block the two lines with end-caps other than bypassing with a U shaped hose. I wonder which one is the best option to take. Can blocking or bypassing cause overheating problems?

Frame #: SXA-11
Engine: 3S-FE

Thanks you very much!

·
Registered
1998 4dr - Manual AWD
x_posts
I've done this before on a different car. Find the diameter of the two hoses and go to an auto parts store. They have coolant line connectors (like $4). Get the two hoses going to the heater core and connect them with it. Throw in some hose clamps so you don't have to worry about it, and you're good to go.

As far as I know there's no way this can cause overheating problems, but if you were to just block it off and then accidentally turned on the heater, your caps might shoot off...

If you bypass it then it can still circulate

This should have everything you need

Heater Hose Repair Kit 22-5-00316-8: Advance Auto Parts

·
Registered
1996 Toyota RAV4 2-Door Base FWD A/T
x_posts
Bypassing will still allow circulation through those tubes. Highly recommend you go this route. Some people do this just to clean up their engine bay a little and remove the heater core entirely. I'm still mulling over doing it myself. Will probably wait till it or the tubes reach end of service. Don't cap those lines!

·
Registered
x_posts
Either capping or bypassing will work - capping basically duplicates normal heater operation when the temperature setting is at cold and bypassing does the same when the normal heater setting is at hot.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota RAV4 2-Door Base FWD A/T
x_posts
Either capping or bypassing will work - capping basically duplicates normal heater operation when the temperature setting is at cold and bypassing does the same when the normal heater setting is at hot.
This is not advisable for the first generation RAV4 because our heater core is "always on". Our model absolutely must flow through the heater hoses.

x_y_of_z_posts