Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD. I am the first owner and it has 89697 miles on it. From day one it has been serviced exclusively at Toyota Dealers.
When I took my car for an oil change to the dealer last week, I was told that the front struts are heavily leaking and it will cost $1600 to change them. This was quite surprising to me because I am not expecting struts to leak heavily at a very well serviced car that has 90000 miles on it. On top of it $1600?
Any advice? Is it really expected to have heavily leaking struts at 90K and expect to shell out $1600 ? (Bedford, MA)

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not sure on price, but yeah, shocks and struts wear out. Plain and simple. Shocks and struts simply have a life span to them and there is nothing to maintain or anything you can do about it. There is no "service" for a strut. Just like brake pads, rotors etc. it is just a part that wears and needs replacing. 90k is pretty good.

But FYI, this is the wrong section for your 2009. This is the 4.4 section for 2013 and up. You want the 4.3 section.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
100k for struts does not surprise me...as far as 1600 they could go intercourse themselves....that is highway robbery...I could replace those struts for you for 300 bucks...damn crooks...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Try the major auto parts chains for a deal on the struts and their replacement. Cheaper prices, and you get a warranty to some degree as well.

Sears, Costco, etc., all have automotive sections and they do the replacement work as well.

Good luck.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.