Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with a leaky sunroof? I have a 2003 right now it always drips on me after a hard rain. Just don't want to have the same problem when I buy the 2006. :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
My 2001 sometimes spritzed a little water in when I ran it through the high pressure car wash, but never in the rain. My new baby has been through the same wash cycle and it's much quieter and no, it doesn't leak! 8)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that the rubber seals around the sunroof get worn and will leak after some years. That would be my reason for not getting a sunroof. I'm not sure most people would add that to their list of yearly maintenance items...unless it becomes a problem. So I guess what I am saying is...what have the owners with sunroofs been doing to ensure they don't have any leaky sunroof issues?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 97 Camry doesn't leak at least until I just traded it in last mth for your comparation of Toyota product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't remember which forum I read it in, but mine was leaking and after a heavy rain, the driver's side floorboard had about 1/2 inch of water in it (that can't be good). The night before that during rain, I got a drop on my head from the control for the sunroof.

There are drainholes in the body of the car on the front side of the sunroof on both the driver's and passenger's side. Who knew? Apparently, they drain through tubes, then out between the front door and the mud flap. These become clogged with dirt, leaves and debris. I park under an oak tree, so I get acorns and all sorts of matter.

The forum described it like this: Open the sunroof. Get in the back seat and stick your head out. Look to the front of where the sunroof closes on the indentation in the roof. To the right and left IN THE BODY ITSELF, there are 2 holes. Near the corners. I actually could not see the one on the driver's side because it was completely clogged with mud and a leaf. The passenger's side was 1/2 clogged.

Apparently the area where they drain to (between the door and mudflap) also gets clogged. It is behind a plastic cover-type thing. Mine was full. I just used a screwdriver or something to hold it open a little and used needlenose pliers to get out all the debris (or at least some of it - there was alot).

Don't know if it worked yet, but I am guessing opening up the drain holes can't hurt. Oh, someone else suggested blowing it out with a compressor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts