Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people out there have a 06 ravv4 with leather and how do you like it compared to cloth..is it really worth the 1500.00 with the heated seats or if after you got it you wanted cloth instead.
Like to hear from people from both sides to which route to go since i'm going to order one here soon...thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love the toyota leather so smooth like my but hehehe.... No really it is awsome I have toyota leather in my van and I would not want anything else. Just make sure you get heated seats.... Easy to clean if you have kids. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you can afford it I'd get the leather. I thought it was very nice quality. I just didn't want to pay the $3000 extra it was going to cost. (The reason it was so much is that around here you can't just get leather, you get a package with a bunch of other stuff that you don't necessarily want).

The fabric, even the fabric in the limited, is lousy. It is one of the few "misses" in this new rav, imo.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dog Hair!

I like to throw my mutt in the back of my Rav and no matter how careful I am eventually there will be dog hair everywhere. Even if the dog never gets in the car, you will track it in on your clothes, things you put in the car, etc.

The problem I found with cloth was that no matter how hard I tried, I could never get rid of it all. When my old Rav was new I even had it professionally detailed, there was always dog hair on the seats.

I have never had leather in a car before, but I ordered a V6 limited with leather with the fevered dream of a madman that this time I will be able to get rid of the dog hair! :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Once I had leather, I didn't want to go back to cloth -- so when I found the closest model to my desires and found out it only had cloth, I bought it anyway and ordered Katzkin leather from my Toyota dealer at purchase. Should be done this week if all goes well.

Biggest thing I have against cloth is static electricity -- that and the dirt/dust/hair/fur collection problem. Leather surfaces are colder and hotter in their respective temperature circumstances, but adapts quickly to your body temperature.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We want leather too....but we must have third row for babies. :cry:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lhave Toyota leather in my Sienna and I love it. I didnt get it in my new Rav4 limited because It wasnt my primary vehicle and I didnt really want to spend the extra money....Plus the salesman said i was lucky to get one in gold without the leather and probably wouldnt find one with leather but if you can afford it id buy it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have had leather in our past 2 SUV. We are getting leather in the Rav we just ordered.

However not sure if our other car will have leather or not. For the second car we are concidering the Yaris, Honda Fit and MB B-Class.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
michael said:
I wish I can get the leather but my family need the 3rd row... :cry:
Michael & Hogpowr:

Two words for you guys... "Aftermarket Leather!" 8)

If you want to wait and see how it looks, I'll post photos when mine is installed. It's supposed to look just like factory skins.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Katzkin aftermarket leather IS guaranteed (and backed by some huge dollar amount I can't recall) to be 100% compatible with side airbags. There are videos on their website demonstrating it, and all the fine print for the guarantee.

I got Katzkin leather for my 4.2 specifically because I was so impressed by their guarantees. It was a nice change from the other company I contacted that said theirs wouldn't work with side airbags, but that it wasn't that big of a deal, since side airbags aren't standard in all cars, they can't be that great anyway. :roll: Sorry I can't remember offhand who that was, but it was someone I found online, and I took them off my list of leather sources real quick!

Becky

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked out the Katzkin website but couldn't find a product match for the 2006 RAV4. Do you need to contact them to get the information? How much did it cost you all in?

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Interesting thing I found at the Toyota Publications website that Johnny found...

Installation instructions for Leather Seat Covers! (PDF File)

Looks like the cloth just comes off and leather covers go in its place! Reports a 10 hour professional install and the procedure looks astoundingly tedious, but I wonder if it'll ever show up at a parts reseller...?

Also makes me wonder if my RAV will have this or Katzkins installed...?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that aftermarket seems the way to go. My Rav4 (Base) is due to arrive next week and I am immediately turning it over to the dealer for the Katzkin install. Cost is $1,295 + tax and should only take about a day. Quite a savings over buying the Limited with Leather.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I must be mad, as I am the only one with anything negative to say about leather, damn cold in the winter, even with heaters, before they get toasty, and what about rear passengers, and also, where I live is hardly tropical, but even in our summers, the leather got so hot in my
Lexus GS, you could get burned if you were not careful. I found myself running the car with the AC full, and standing outside waiting for thing to cool down. It did feel pretty great though when the temp got just right, as well as looked great.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sibbo said:
I must be mad, as I am the only one with anything negative to say about leather, damn cold in the winter, even with heaters, before they get toasty, and what about rear passengers, and also, where I live is hardly tropical, but even in our summers, the leather got so hot in my
Lexus GS, you could get burned if you were not careful. I found myself running the car with the AC full, and standing outside waiting for thing to cool down. It did feel pretty great though when the temp got just right, as well as looked great.

I didn't want leather either! Too hot and sticky in Texas! I can't see me getting in a car that is 150 degrees with shorts on and sitting on leather. Now...if they had seats that cooled like they have them that heat up...maybe I'd be interested! LOL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts