Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Was this review useful to you? (public votes)

• One star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two star

• Three star

• Four star

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
XenonDepot.com 2017 Toyota RAV4 LED kit. "ExtremeLED Vspec." 9012.
Vehicle specific kit that includes PWM (can bus) adapters. Required.
Can't post link as a newbie.

I know there are a couple threads on LED headlamps somewhere, but started a new one anyway. Will post before/after pics in future when I have enough posts to qualify. (I'm a newbie, perhaps replying to your kind, or even unkind, feedback would gain me enough!). For now:

Very well made with quality materials. Module box is aluminum w/ a little bit of heat sink structure. Full epoxy filled claim. No evidence of EMI or interference with adaptive cruise control radar.

Color temp: 5700K cool white is more perceptible than stock OEM Philips 2012 HIR2 bulb. (Which is NOT the same as the whiter aftermarket version!)

Brightness: Not much difference. Note that an OEM Philips halogen is rated at roughly the same lumens as eight Lumileds LXZ2-5770 emitters.

Pattern in stock projector housing:
Overall - Very good light spread/pattern etc, essentially same as stock halogen, with the filament in vertical orientation (important). Good but not perfect match to projector housing r.e. filament positioning as claimed by vendor. (These things should really be designed differently for projectors and reflectors. No "nose" on top of the emitter stem is required for projectors and patterns would be dead identical to halogen and hid. But nobody does that.)

Hotspot - The central hotspot in the pattern is not as focused as stock halogen in low beam mode. HIgh hotspot is fine (with internal shutter retracted). A few chromatic aberrations apparent in places at cut-off edge in low. Neither a big issue (for me) nor very extreme.

PWM's (Can Bus adaptors): You need them.
Full functionality in all modes including DRL and Auto high beams with no error codes/dash warning lights or flickering.

However: DRL mode is brighter than stock halogen likely because Toyota uses voltage to dim DRL output to save a bit of fuel and bulb life in the daytime and the control module simply converts it to drive voltage of the emitters. But they do work, which they wouldn't have if Toy's voltage was too low, and since the LED's draw half the amperage to start with. Well... Hey it works and brighter may be safer for DRL's. Who knows?

Bottom line:
I wish they were a bit brighter, and perhaps genuine 30+ watt led clusters would be. Good luck finding real ones. Way too much bs in the industry and none of the lumen claims, including for these, can be believed. Check the spec sheets for individual emitters if you can find the specific emitter maker/model.

Xenon Depot did provide the emitter # for which I found true specs online. They didn't overstate lumens as much as some on the box. (Though they did overstate.) They were more honest when I queried them. (About 1800 lumens.) Per Philips specs eight emitters should produce approx'ly 1760 lumens.

That said, the pattern in RAV4 projectors (which a Toy tech said are the same for their upper trim LED headlights) is very good if not bang perfect. Won't notice after a couple uses and even the stock pattern is actually better than most vehicles per the IIHS.org testing. Further, though not brighter, the cool white color temp improves real world visibility at similar lumen output.

I am satisfied with purchase as it is indeed very compatible with RAV4 projector housings and life should be much better than stock halogen which Philips rates at approx 350-450 hours, but I do wish:
1. That aftermarket LED's were engineered separately for projectors and reflectors. It wouldn't be hard at all and would make a huge difference to both.
2. That this kit in particular had 10 instead of 8 emitters per bulb. Would have been brighter but not offensively so for just a few more watts of draw. (Approx 400 lumens more per bulb.)

Will be buying their H16 foglight kit which uses exact same Philips emitters. Should be significantly brighter than stock as well as matching color temp of the new head lamps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I just got a 2017 RAV4 a month ago. If there is anything I don't like on my RAV4 XLE is the missing LED DRL installed like in higher end RAV4 models. Also I'm missing the Auto Dimming Review mirror like my wife got in her Tacoma. I did attach 2 "stolen" pics online to make it easier to locate what I'm taking about.

Have you guys attempted to install a LED in the OEM headlight by removing/drilling a hole so you could add a LED bulb to get the high end model horizontal DRL?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
XenonDepot.com 2017 Toyota RAV4 LED kit. "ExtremeLED Vspec." 9012.
Vehicle specific kit that includes PWM (can bus) adapters. Required.
Can't post link as a newbie.

I know there are a couple threads on LED headlamps somewhere, but started a new one anyway. Will post before/after pics in future when I have enough posts to qualify. (I'm a newbie, perhaps replying to your kind, or even unkind, feedback would gain me enough!). For now:

Very well made with quality materials. Module box is aluminum w/ a little bit of heat sink structure. Full epoxy filled claim. No evidence of EMI or interference with adaptive cruise control radar.

Color temp: 5700K cool white is more perceptible than stock OEM Philips 2012 HIR2 bulb. (Which is NOT the same as the whiter aftermarket version!)

Brightness: Not much difference. Note that an OEM Philips halogen is rated at roughly the same lumens as eight Lumileds LXZ2-5770 emitters.

Pattern in stock projector housing:
Overall - Very good light spread/pattern etc, essentially same as stock halogen, with the filament in vertical orientation (important). Good but not perfect match to projector housing r.e. filament positioning as claimed by vendor. (These things should really be designed differently for projectors and reflectors. No "nose" on top of the emitter stem is required for projectors and patterns would be dead identical to halogen and hid. But nobody does that.)

Hotspot - The central hotspot in the pattern is not as focused as stock halogen in low beam mode. HIgh hotspot is fine (with internal shutter retracted). A few chromatic aberrations apparent in places at cut-off edge in low. Neither a big issue (for me) nor very extreme.

PWM's (Can Bus adaptors): You need them.
Full functionality in all modes including DRL and Auto high beams with no error codes/dash warning lights or flickering.

However: DRL mode is brighter than stock halogen likely because Toyota uses voltage to dim DRL output to save a bit of fuel and bulb life in the daytime and the control module simply converts it to drive voltage of the emitters. But they do work, which they wouldn't have if Toy's voltage was too low, and since the LED's draw half the amperage to start with. Well... Hey it works and brighter may be safer for DRL's. Who knows?

Bottom line:
I wish they were a bit brighter, and perhaps genuine 30+ watt led clusters would be. Good luck finding real ones. Way too much bs in the industry and none of the lumen claims, including for these, can be believed. Check the spec sheets for individual emitters if you can find the specific emitter maker/model.

Xenon Depot did provide the emitter # for which I found true specs online. They didn't overstate lumens as much as some on the box. (Though they did overstate.) They were more honest when I queried them. (About 1800 lumens.) Per Philips specs eight emitters should produce approx'ly 1760 lumens.

That said, the pattern in RAV4 projectors (which a Toy tech said are the same for their upper trim LED headlights) is very good if not bang perfect. Won't notice after a couple uses and even the stock pattern is actually better than most vehicles per the IIHS.org testing. Further, though not brighter, the cool white color temp improves real world visibility at similar lumen output.

I am satisfied with purchase as it is indeed very compatible with RAV4 projector housings and life should be much better than stock halogen which Philips rates at approx 350-450 hours, but I do wish:
1. That aftermarket LED's were engineered separately for projectors and reflectors. It wouldn't be hard at all and would make a huge difference to both.
2. That this kit in particular had 10 instead of 8 emitters per bulb. Would have been brighter but not offensively so for just a few more watts of draw. (Approx 400 lumens more per bulb.)

Will be buying their H16 foglight kit which uses exact same Philips emitters. Should be significantly brighter than stock as well as matching color temp of the new head lamps.
Can you post a video of your install and review..just link a youtube video..much easier than attaching it on this forum.

Thanks..looking forward to your video.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just installed YUMSEEN 9012/HIR2 72W 7600LM 6000K LED Headlight Bulb Kit on 2017 XLE, it`s so bright that i am concerned about oncoming traffic, nobody flashed me yet.. but comparing to OEM halogen .. it`s 3-4 times more light produced. I have to say, that OEM lamps are horrible, if it rains, you can`t see anything. Led kit did require decoder, light wont even turn on without it, obviously ECU didn`t like this idea haha. I had to purchase Vouke 9005 H10 9006 9012 LED Headlight Canbus Wiring Kit separately.
Both kits look like quality products, will set you back about 70 dollars :)

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I just installed YUMSEEN 9012/HIR2 72W 7600LM 6000K LED Headlight Bulb Kit on 2017 XLE, it`s so bright that i am concerned about oncoming traffic, nobody flashed me yet.. but comparing to OEM halogen .. it`s 3-4 times more light produced. I have to say, that OEM lamps are horrible, if it rains, you can`t see anything. Led kit did require decoder, light wont even turn on without it, obviously ECU didn`t like this idea haha. I had to purchase Vouke 9005 H10 9006 9012 LED Headlight Canbus Wiring Kit separately.
Both kits look like quality products, will set you back about 70 dollars :)
Congratulations! I know that video is coming soon ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
haha, thanks! I will make something up. Making video of install probably pointless, it is really takes 5 minutes, plug and play, but i`ll make one driving at night, maybe even compassion video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I just got a 2017 RAV4 a month ago. If there is anything I don't like on my RAV4 XLE is the missing LED DRL installed like in higher end RAV4 models. Also I'm missing the Auto Dimming Review mirror like my wife got in her Tacoma. I did attach 2 "stolen" pics online to make it easier to locate what I'm taking about.

Have you guys attempted to install a LED in the OEM headlight by removing/drilling a hole so you could add a LED bulb to get the high end model horizontal DRL?
Hi,

check this post: Connecting the LED DRL on 4.4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts