Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a random question but figured I would ask the community here.

About a month ago I noticed a little condensation on the driver's side headlight on my wife's 2017 Platinum and today I noticed in both headlights. Now it doesn't cover the entire headlight but just the lower inner corners below the blinker.

Is this normal? Is it because the headlights don't heat up like incandescent/reflector type headlights to "burn" off any moist air in the headlight? Is it from a warm engine bay and cold air on the outside of the headlight?

I know in the Owners manual it states that some condensation is OK and that it should go away on its own and it did go away back in October when I first noticed it (I'll check later tonight/tomorrow morning to see if it went away).

I also checked real close back in October to see if there was water in the headlights (which there wasn't...checked today as well). There are two rubber plugs with foam on the back side of each headlight which I checked and made sure they were seated just enough to not block airflow.

Also we've had some significant rain fall a few times weeks ago and I didn't notice condensation then so I don't think it's rain/water related.

Added photos (who doesn't like photos)...first two are from today and the third is from a month ago.

Thanks in advance

Edit: So from the time I took the photos to now (about an hour...which involved me moving the car into the garage for the night) the condensation is gone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
So a random question but figured I would ask the community here.

About a month ago I noticed a little condensation on the driver's side headlight on my wife's 2017 Platinum and today I noticed in both headlights. Now it doesn't cover the entire headlight but just the lower inner corners below the blinker.

Is this normal? Is it because the headlights don't heat up like incandescent/reflector type headlights to "burn" off any moist air in the headlight? Is it from a warm engine bay and cold air on the outside of the headlight?

I know in the Owners manual it states that some condensation is OK and that it should go away on its own and it did go away back in October when I first noticed it (I'll check later tonight/tomorrow morning to see if it went away).

I also checked real close back in October to see if there was water in the headlights (which there wasn't...checked today as well). There are two rubber plugs with foam on the back side of each headlight which I checked and made sure they were seated just enough to not block airflow.

Also we've had some significant rain fall a few times weeks ago and I didn't notice condensation then so I don't think it's rain/water related.

Added photos (who doesn't like photos)...first two are from today and the third is from a month ago.

Thanks in advance

Edit: So from the time I took the photos to now (about an hour...which involved me moving the car into the garage for the night) the condensation is gone.

I personally think its got a lot to do from where you live..I have a '17 RAV4-Limited (Am sure its no different headlights than yours) and have had no condensation.. But I live in the desert..Although within the past 2 months have driven over 3500 miles into lots of rainy weather thru NM., Texas.,Missouri and Kansas...No moisture noticed...Wouldn't be to concerned at this point...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally think its got a lot to do from where you live..I have a '17 RAV4-Limited (Am sure its no different headlights than yours) and have had no condensation.. But I live in the desert..Although within the past 2 months have driven over 3500 miles into lots of rainy weather thru NM., Texas.,Missouri and Kansas...No moisture noticed...Wouldn't be to concerned at this point...
Yeah I'm in CT...we've had some rapid temp swings that vary 20-40 degrees in a day these past few weeks.

Not to worried about it but was more curious if others experience this as well.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never noticed it in my wifes 2016. We can experience 100 inches of snow annually and 100 degree temps in the summer, so it's seen it all in the time we've owned it.

Side note, does anyone know how much it costs to replace the 2016 newer stock LED headlights? I assume it's not as easy as swapping out a bulb. Just curious for down the road, we hang onto vehicles for a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts