Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts?

I live in LA-Hollywood and we barely get any rain and where I live there's no fog just sunshine almost everyday. BUT, I had HIDs on my low beam & fog light on my previous car and I'm not quite satisfied with the amount of brightness on my current Rav4. I have a 2016 rav4 SE with factory LED & upgraded LED fogs..and currently thinking of adding an extra set of led spot lights with the license plate frame.

Have any of you guys done any type of extra lighting? such as LED bars and/or spot lights?
I'm attaching a photoshopped image as a reference...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I upgraded all the lights to Led's and I'm very satisfied with the result the improvement is huge I got the Lasfit kit and most people with the same kit agree too. What type of led's you have? IMO Led bar are great if you going off road other than that they only blind people on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you want to keep the led bar hidden, you can put one behind the front grill. There is many kind of led bar. Some are straight, and some are curved. Some have spot leds that lights far ahead, other have flood leds that lights wide. Some have led that are 1W each, abd other have leds that are 3W each... etc, etc.

On my RAV4.2 I have a 180W combo (spot and flood) and curved led bar in the front. When its rainy or snowing, it's not helping so much: it reflects light on all droplets and snowflakes. But in all other situations, the difference is amazing.

I also have one 120W combo and curved in the back. It' so handy off road!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to keep the led bar hidden, you can put one behind the front grill. There is many kind of led bar. Some are straight, and some are curved. Some have spot leds that lights far ahead, other have flood leds that lights wide. Some have led that are 1W each, abd other have leds that are 3W each... etc, etc.

On my RAV4.2 I have a 180W combo (spot and flood) and curved led bar in the front. When its rainy or snowing, it's not helping so much: it reflects light on all droplets and snowflakes. But in all other situations, the difference is amazing.

I also have one 120W combo and curved in the back. It' so handy off road!
I was thinking of doing it behind the grille since the 2016 SE has big honeycomb grille but I've heard/read that it's not great to block the much needed air coming into the engine bay and the LED bar also gives off heat so you're blocking cool air & adding more heat... is that true?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I upgraded all the lights to Led's and I'm very satisfied with the result the improvement is huge I got the Lasfit kit and most people with the same kit agree too. What type of led's you have? IMO Led bar are great if you going off road other than that they only blind people on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the stock LED for the low beam & upgraded JDM Astar LED for the fogs.. I understand that it could blind people. And the cops here ticket you for even the little things so I was going to use it if I do drive in the canyon in the dark or something.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was thinking of doing it behind the grille since the 2016 SE has big honeycomb grille but I've heard/read that it's not great to block the much needed air coming into the engine bay and the LED bar also gives off heat so you're blocking cool air & adding more heat... is that true?

A led's advantage over regular bulbs is that they don't produce heat in the form of radiation. This allows LED fixtures to be positioned in locations where heating from conventional sources would cause a particular problem.

And the grill is so big on your RAV4, it won't make any noticeable difference in air flow. Where I live, almost every forester's pick-ups have a led bar. And most of them are situated behind front grill to protect them from debris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts