Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a rav4 2002, I have recently bought some LED lights and replaced my regular lights because they were dying out. The Link is below, I did purchase two, H4 and H11. I placed H11 in the bottom, but the point is to show my source haha, its the same company. my problem is, the lights flicker when I turn on the car (Daytime Running Lights) and when I turn on the lights it is fine, but they turn off, it's either one side or both for a while and they turn back on (Idle or driving). luckily, I live in NYC where there is light everywhere but it's still dangerous.

How can I fix this problem?
Is it because of the Daytime Running Lights Feature?
How can I turn off DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?

Thank you all who take the time to help.

Link:
Was Removed because this is my first post

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe ECU doesn`t like them, did you try to use decoder? When i bought mine, they wont even turn on without decoder. I did see people complain about lights going on and off, for some simple decoder fixed the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe ECU doesn`t like them, did you try to use decoder? When i bought mine, they wont even turn on without decoder. I did see people complain about lights going on and off, for some simple decoder fixed the issue.
what do I need to get so I can decode this issue?
If possible, I am not very good with cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are talking about headlights, which are HB4 on 2002 RAV4 if I am not mistaken, you can try something like this:
Thank you, I'll look more into this; I really appreciate the help !

On the side note, does this remove DRL?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does 2002 have a separate bulb for DRL? There are different headlight assy`s out there, depending on the model, i don`t want to give you wrong info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does 2002 have a separate bulb for DRL? There are different headlight assy`s out there, depending on the model, i don`t want to give you wrong info
No there are the same bulb. I did more searching, maybe it can be a switch in the fuse box or a Relay, but I don't know where to get any pieces or locate it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong, looking at the HB4 headlight bulb for 2nd gen RAV4, it seems that it is a hi/lo beam and i am assuming, Lo beam is serving a DRL function? I think you should be OK, DRL will still work as long as ECU recognizes LED bulb and decoders should help you with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct me if i am wrong, looking at the HB4 headlight bulb for 2nd gen RAV4, it seems that it is a hi/lo beam and i am assuming, Lo beam is serving a DRL function? I think you should be OK, DRL will still work as long as ECU recognizes LED bulb and decoders should help you with that.
Okay, I understand now.
My Final Question is... I have the H4 Lights, you sent me HB4, is that any different?
I googled it and others get too technical for me to understand and there was one who said it's JUST the plastic on the HB4 that makes it different.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Okay, I understand now.
My Final Question is... I have the H4 Lights, you sent me HB4, is that any different?
I googled it and others get too technical for me to understand and there was one who said it's JUST the plastic on the HB4 that makes it different.
Oh, i don`t own 2nd gen RAV4, i just looked it up, said it was HB4.. and they are different then H4. So, if you have H4 light bulb, then get H4 decoder, plugs are different. Looks for H4 LED Headlight Canbus Wiring Kit.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Headlight-Computer-Resistor-Canceler/dp/B01ENTK2BK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501011006&sr=8-8&keywords=h4+decoder

How did original light bulb look like? See images attached:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Likely, the DRL is either running a reduced voltage, or more likely, a pulse modulated voltage which will operate a halogen lamp at reduced brightness (to increase life, rather than running 24/7).

LED and HID drivers are not directly compatible with these systems and will not operate properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, i don`t own 2nd gen RAV4, i just looked it up, said it was HB4.. and they are different then H4. So, if you have H4 light bulb, then get H4 decoder, plugs are different. Looks for H4 LED Headlight Canbus Wiring Kit.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Headlight-Computer-Resistor-Canceler/dp/B01ENTK2BK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501011006&sr=8-8&keywords=h4+decoder

How did original light bulb look like? See images attached:
My Original Light Bulb looked like the one on the right which is... I believe the HB4.
but I bought the LED H4. it fit fine, but the flickering situation. I purchased the H4 Decorder, is this fine?
Or do I have to get a LED HB4?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Likely, the DRL is either running a reduced voltage, or more likely, a pulse modulated voltage which will operate a halogen lamp at reduced brightness (to increase life, rather than running 24/7).

LED and HID drivers are not directly compatible with these systems and will not operate properly.
Great point :cheers:, it`s true with DRL on the low beam. Usually, LED can run on the lower voltage, unlike HID.. hopefully decoder will help with them turning off sporadically..

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Original Light Bulb looked like the one on the right which is... I believe the HB4.
but I bought the LED H4. it fit fine, but the flickering situation. I purchased the H4 Decorder, is this fine?
Or do I have to get a LED HB4?
If you have H4 LED bulb, then you need H4 decoder, so you did the right thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts