Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are thinking about LED turn light bulbs you may find this post helpful...
I went through some investigations around rear turn bulb replacement. The finding is that even dispite I got the "higher end" LED replacemetns - intensity still does not compare to the original bulb.

1) Got "3 High Power LED 7443/7440 Bulb" from SuperBright LEDs :arrow: http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/744x-xHP3.htm
+ Decently built, nice cooler
- Emits light only in one direction and not suitable for a traditional reflector

2) Got "7W HIGH POWER 20 LED" from V-LEDs :arrow: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Parking-Light-LED/Amber-LED/2-AMBER-7443-V-LEDS-7W-p6634404-1-2.html
+ Nicely built, has it's own power supply inside that produces the right juice for the LEDs
+ Emits light in all directions
- the upper 6 LEDs are not so strong as the once on the perimetr
- I had to re-solder the upper 6 LEDs - slopy manufacturing and QA process :?
- Still not as bright in the RAV's turn light reflector as the original bulb...

3) I've merged the two bulbs together :lol: - V-LED as base and the SuperBright one on the TOP
+ Very close to the intensity and coverage in the RAV's reflector, but still behind the light bulb
- LOT of work 1+ hr.
- Cost of ONE bulb is around $40 :? and you lose warranty

4) Flasher/Resistor - despite the flasher in the RAV is electronic you need to either mod it or get the one from the LED sellers. Why? The OEM flasher has a resistor that is used to measure the curent drawn by the light bulbs. If the curent drops - e.g. one bulb is burned then it changes the flashing frequency (design). So if you want to keep the "right" frequency you need to mod the flasher -or- get a special one -or- add resistor in parralel to the LED to simulate the curent draw and burn the energy into heat.

A) Modding the Toyota flasher - Have not done that, but seems like a doable option. Just using two resistors to set the right voltage for the IC controller...
B) Flasher "replacement" gives you the right frequency, but removes the turn light confirmation of lock/unlock. Sucks for me...
- BTW if you want to remove the flasher, there's a hidden lock on the bottom - so it's PitA..

C) Resistors - Probably the easiest option, but I have not gone that rounte since it seemed to me very stupid heating in the trunk :)

CONCLUSION
Have spent $80+ and 3+ hours investigating. It taught me a good lesson - the LEDs are still not as bright as the original bulbs and the reflector works best when the original bulb is in. I have gone back to the original bulbs and original flasher. :D

Also you may argue - the LED gives you the "cool" instant on/off appearance - but believe me, it's not SO apparent as you may think.

Turn signal turnsignal flasher indicator directional

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
jkalis said:
Also you may argue - the LED gives you the "cool" instant on/off appearance - but believe me, it's not SO apparent as you may think.
I'd argue that the difference is noticeable. I would just stick to changing things like backup lights, license plate lights to LEDs since those are manageable. Maybe also interior dome lights.

Unfortunately nobody makes car LED lights with Cree LEDs...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I replaced all of my interior lights with LEDs including the rear crummy one. It's much brighter now in the back and just as bright if not brighter throughout the car. I'll post some pics this weekend when I get home from the firefighting academy I am at... also installed a new pioneer double DIN DVD in dash post some pics of that...a little off topic sorry.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
ParamedicWEISS said:
I replaced all of my interior lights with LEDs including the rear crummy one. It's much brighter now in the back and just as bright if not brighter throughout the car. I'll post some pics this weekend when I get home from the firefighting academy I am at... also installed a new pioneer double DIN DVD in dash post some pics of that...a little off topic sorry.
Which LED did you for the trunk light?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium
5 Posts
Hello. New to this forum. I bought a 2020 rav4. I also switched all my inside lights to led. So this post I was looking for. So if I understand it right by switching the turn signals to led it will turn it to a hyper blinker if not using a resistor led compatible flasher?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts