Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2007 Sport V6 model. For over a year now, my left turn signal would come on all by itself during driving. In the beginning, it was more of a flickering, which lasted about 1-2 seconds each time. For the past two days, it has turned into full-on blinking, each time lasting as long as 5 seconds. This happens generally during the first 15-20 minutes of driving, after that it would stop. Has anyone experienced this with their Rav4s? I'll be taking mine to the dealer soon and have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Perhaps your lever is worn out causing the weight of the arm to fall down enough to activate the left signal...is there any play in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2007 Sport V6 model. For over a year now, my left turn signal would come on all by itself during driving. In the beginning, it was more of a flickering, which lasted about 1-2 seconds each time. For the past two days, it has turned into full-on blinking, each time lasting as long as 5 seconds. This happens generally during the first 15-20 minutes of driving, after that it would stop. Has anyone experienced this with their Rav4s? I'll be taking mine to the dealer soon and have it looked at.
I've just read your post, and I'd be interested to know what the solution was for you. The same exact thing has happened in my 2010 RAV-4. At first it was the right signal, and now it's the left. If I try to move the signal arm up to the right, in the hopes it will stop the left side from blinking, it only serves to have all 4 blinkers going, as if i'd pushed the emergency flasher. if i move the signal arm down and up, it has no effect on stopping the blinking.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I've just read your post, and I'd be interested to know what the solution was for you. The same exact thing has happened in my 2010 RAV-4. At first it was the right signal, and now it's the left. If I try to move the signal arm up to the right, in the hopes it will stop the left side from blinking, it only serves to have all 4 blinkers going, as if i'd pushed the emergency flasher. if i move the signal arm down and up, it has no effect on stopping the blinking.
Sounds like the turn signal stalk is worn?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
If the problem is the turn signal switch the part appears to cost about $90 if DIY. The biggest part of the job is pulling the steering wheel, airbag stuff, etc. Stalk and switch are a single unit. For a dealer to replace it likely would be rather expensive, an independent shop probably would be less costly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the problem is the turn signal switch the part appears to cost about $90 if DIY. The biggest part of the job is pulling the steering wheel, airbag stuff, etc. Stalk and switch are a single unit. For a dealer to replace it likely would be rather expensive, an independent shop probably would be less costly.
Thank you so much......I now understand why the dealership was hesitant to troubleshoot something they couldn't actually reproduce. Taking down the steering wheel, airbag, etc. etc., well, I can see how that could be expensive. One thing I've always found out at the dealership....it's never not expensive.......

·
Registered
453 Posts
If the problem is the turn signal switch the part appears to cost about $90 if DIY.
It always blows my mind why Toyota (and some Hyundai/Kia for that matter) choose this design that requires steering wheel to be removed. In my (other) Ford cars, or even dreaded Honda's, the whole stalk comes out by itself, it doesn't have that "circle" that keeps it around the steering ax.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It always blows my mind why Toyota (and some Hyundai/Kia for that matter) choose this design that requires steering wheel to be removed. In my (other) Ford cars, or even dreaded Honda's, the whole stalk comes out by itself, it doesn't have that "circle" that keeps it around the steering ax.
Yep - my experiences with Fords and one Chev as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In my Ford Explorer case, the bad switch was actually the hazards switch (I could hear it buzzing internally when the turn signals were going haywire) and that was even easier to replace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts