Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traded my 2010 Rav4 in May of this year for a new 2016 Rav4 XLE. Nice car and we are enjoying it. Anyways, a few days ago, whilst the wife was in Costco, some one hit our car in the car park and did not remain, leave a note etc. Hit was on the right side corner of the front bumper. May well be the other driver was unaware but I doubt it. Consequence is that the entire front bumper assembly torqued over towards the left side of the vehicle, lots of clips etc that hold the different poly-carbonate bits together, popping/ springing apart. Fortunately my wife just drove the car home though she did consider taking it to the Toyota Dealership to get fixed. Glad she did not. Everything was pretty well sprung though holding together. By removing the bolts/self tapping screws holding the lower panel to the frame, with care I managed to pop most of the different panels together though had to buy some new clips to replace those that had broken as a consequence of the torque exerted on the assembly. Also had to replace the the right side bumper extension that fits over the wheel arch from the bumper. All of the lugs that form part of the molding had broken away on the original. Purpose of this post is to advise those owners that are diy minded that removing, repairing anything on the front bumper assembly is very do-able. Downside is the cost of parts but depending on deductibles, it may pay you to do any minor accident damage yourself rather than claim on insurance, particularly if, as in my case, you can't claim off anyone else for the damage. As I say, Toyota parts are expensive....as we all know, that's where they make the real money! I checked out the parts required so at least I had an idea of costs etc (http://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-...ine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-front-scat) That little piece of molding was $56 Cdn + tax. So cost of putting it right was around $85 which included some touch up paint as unfortunately their was some grazing, chips on the bumper painted area corner. Now the job is done, but for the 'crash rash' its as good as new. Guess it could have been a lot worse, though it still rankles! My sincere hope is that the driver of that unknown offending vehicle be blessed with his/her next crap being a hedgehog!

Reactions: Rick600XT
1 - 1 of 1 Posts