Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read on page 75 or the owner's manual that one condition during which the gasoline car engine may not stop is when the heater is on.

What happens to the MPG in the winter when its cold, and you run the heater all the time? Or the word "may" is key here, and it won't make a big difference?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, compared to Wpg ;)

Still, it won't affect the run time of the gas engine? Even when its -5 degrees Celsius?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very little from what I've seen so far. Your engine will run more at start up and for the next few kms(sorry, I mean miles ;)) but once the engine is near operating temp it will run as you're used to. Even if you have the heat on. You may lose 1 mpg or so at most I'd guess. I will lose a looootttt more. Lol. I haven't had mine very long but I have experienced -5C to +30C temps since I've gotten it almost two weeks ago. Yes, Winnipeg is weird. We get -40C to +40C temps at the extremes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be interesting to reopen this thread when its minus 40 Celsius and your tires have a hard flat spot!
I will try to report back as well.
In the meantime its summary over here.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Winter conditions have many different effects on MPG. How much the ICE runs isn't the biggest effect. Increased drag in the form of cold tires, (a big factor), cold chassis, cold/dense air and the list goes on. But the main thing is "increased drag". It just takes a lot more to push a car around in cold temps. The difference in winter MPG vs summer can be 5 mpg or more depending the the conditions. If you research hybrids at Fuelly.com you will find seasonal variations of 10-15% on average.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It will be interesting to reopen this thread when its minus 40 Celsius and your tires have a hard flat spot!
I will try to report back as well.
In the meantime its summary over here.
I have a set of winter wheels which have their own horrible effect on fuel economy. Softer, musher, heavier etc. Much safer but no flat spots. In fact, I've never really felt flat spots unless I hadn't driven in a few days no matter the tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Winter makes a big difference to mileage.
Check out my graph and dates on Fuelly:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/rav4/2016/boldlygo/414575/fuelchart

Cold weather - worst mileage. May has been the best - much better weather with little heater use.
If you want to graph temperatures corresponding with my fill-ups, I live near Barrie, Ontario.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ right, was going to add that. On regular combustion engine, that winter gas does drop MPG by 1-2 MPG in my hands.

@ Boldlygo, thanks for the data, that does look like a significant impact!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
^ right, was going to add that. On regular combustion engine, that winter gas does drop MPG by 1-2 MPG in my hands.

@ Boldlygo, thanks for the data, that does look like a significant impact!
Many places in the USA mandate Ethanol year round. So depending on where you are the gas isn't a variable factor.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gas here has 10% ethanol year round. However the winter blend and summer blends are still different. I have seen a good 10% mpg drop in all my vehicles on winter blends. Plus factor in increased condensation within the station tanks and the cars fuel tank..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts