Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I don't live or die by Consumer Reports, I was surprised to see their negative feedback about the Lexus NX, and was wondering what the implications for the Rav4 might be. I believe they share a platform, including transmission, but wasn't sure how much else is shared. It seems like the ride/handling are the big complaints.

Thoughts?

Consumer Reports' Four Worst Cars of 2015

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too. Apparently they expect the Lexus brand to be much more upscale than the RAV4 platform it's based on than it is. Other times when reviewing a Lexus or Acura they'll say for $$$ less you could get almost the same car in a Camry or Accord. Almost seems like the same thing to me, one with a negative slant, the other positive.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
It's evident from having read CR's tests and evaluations for years that they expect a vehicle with a luxury nameplate to have luxury qualities, and that the Lexus NX doesn't measure up to their criteria.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Having had a Lexus RX AWD hybrid for the past six years, (still sitting in the driveway until I decide where to sell it), and just the other week, purchased a RAV4 Limited AWD to replace the Lexus, (because I just wore it out), I can understand the complaints about the ride quality. The Limited is the closest to a Lexus, as far as gadgets are concerned. My new RAV is nice, but no way will I mistake the ride quality for a Lexus. Compared to the Lexus, the RAV's ride quality really sux.

The LE and XLE do not seem to have such a harsh ride quality as the Limited. As far as I know, as to the suspension, the only thing different is the size of the wheels. I'm on the hunt for 16" or 17" wheels for the RAV instead of the OEM 18" wheels. Hopefully, this will help the ride quality a lot. If not, well...I'll have a spare set of wheels for snow tires. I'm pretty sure the NX has 18" wheels. Perhaps this is what is contributing to the poor ride quality.

I'm still sold on the AWD hybrid technology. Maybe in a couple of years, when the initial demand is satisfied, I'll trade in my RAV Limited for a RAV hybrid.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The biggest issue of the NX is that it is derived from the RAV. If you start with a lousy platform it's hard to build a decent car, no matter how many "bells and whistles" you add. Or, as they say, "you can put lipstick on a pig ...".

Toyota did a poor job with the RAV to start with, so now they are bearing the consequences.

Now, that said, the NX is MUCH nicer than the RAV, with significantly better interior materials, better engine and better ride. But the shortcomings of the RAV show up their ugly heads ...

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Toyota did a poor job with the RAV to start with, so now they are bearing the consequences.
Yeah, :egad: so bad it's a wonder Toyota could sell any. Are they?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, :egad: so bad it's a wonder Toyota could sell any. Are they?
Judging by the flood of new Rav4s I am seeing in the Phoenix area, they seem to be selling a bunch.
Doesn't hurt that there are some sweet end of the 2015 model deals out there, too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having had a Lexus RX AWD hybrid for the past six years, (still sitting in the driveway until I decide where to sell it), and just the other week, purchased a RAV4 Limited AWD to replace the Lexus, (because I just wore it out), I can understand the complaints about the ride quality. The Limited is the closest to a Lexus, as far as gadgets are concerned. My new RAV is nice, but no way will I mistake the ride quality for a Lexus. Compared to the Lexus, the RAV's ride quality really sux.

The LE and XLE do not seem to have such a harsh ride quality as the Limited. As far as I know, as to the suspension, the only thing different is the size of the wheels. I'm on the hunt for 16" or 17" wheels for the RAV instead of the OEM 18" wheels. Hopefully, this will help the ride quality a lot. If not, well...I'll have a spare set of wheels for snow tires. I'm pretty sure the NX has 18" wheels. Perhaps this is what is contributing to the poor ride quality.

I'm still sold on the AWD hybrid technology. Maybe in a couple of years, when the initial demand is satisfied, I'll trade in my RAV Limited for a RAV hybrid.

I already have the 16" alloys bought. ( I have the 17" stock on my LE currently). I am waiting until I can afford the tires to make the switch. I think the more sidewall you can get the better as far as ride. It is never going to be a passenger car ride, but I think I will be more satisfied with 16".

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Judging by the flood of new Rav4s I am seeing in the Phoenix area, they seem to be selling a bunch.
Doesn't hurt that there are some sweet end of the 2015 model deals out there, too.

There still don't seem to be many 4.4 RAVs here. Many 4.3s are disappearing and apparently are being replaced mostly with Subarus, Honda CR-Vs and Jeeps with some Highlanders in the mix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There still don't seem to be many 4.4 RAVs here. Many 4.3s are disappearing and apparently are being replaced mostly with Subarus, Honda CR-Vs and Jeeps with some Highlanders in the mix.

Here are the top sellers in the US.

SUV/Crossover
September 2015 YTD

#1 Honda CR-V 259,499

#2 Ford Escape 233,012

#3 Toyota RAV4 227,922

Strange that Oregon seems to be an anomaly. Don't misunderstand me.....there are a ton of CR-Vs scooting around here in Phoenix. Just that the increased appearances of new RAV4s here is inline with the increased sales in this chart.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/10/september-2015-ytd-usa-suv-crossover-sales-by-model.html

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Strange that Oregon seems to be an anomaly. Don't misunderstand me.....there are a ton of CR-Vs scooting around here in Phoenix. Just that the increased appearances of new RAV4s here is inline with the increased sales in this chart.

September 2015 YTD U.S. SUV And Crossover Sales Rankings - Top 96 Best-Selling SUVs In America - Every SUV Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

To be fair I can only speak from personal, non-methodological observation and about my corner of Oregon. There seem to be proportionately more 4.4 RAVs over the mountains in the Rogue Valley. There were large numbers of 4.3 RAVs here on the south coast but now proportionately fewer 4.4s, and one of my neighbors who had a 4.4 traded it in after a few months for a V6 Highlander.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
This is the sort of post that I was talking about it another thread I started.

"Toyota did a poor job with the RAV to start with, so now they are bearing the consequences."

What does that mean? Why are you here?
That's a good question, many here have been trying to figure it out. He (or she) is a disgruntled ex-RAV4 owner who traded it for a Venza yet keeps coming back here to disparage the RAV4. Somebody needs a hobby.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's a good question, many here have been trying to figure it out. He (or she) is a disgruntled ex-RAV4 owner who traded it for a Venza yet keeps coming back here to disparage the RAV4. Somebody needs a hobby.
I think that subconsciously she/he has realised that they have made a big,big mistake
with their Venza. However as their conscious still hasn't fully accepted this they are not
quite able to say it just yet.
Lets face it we would all hate to admit to making such a large mistake.:D

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
This is the sort of post that I was talking about it another thread I started.

"Toyota did a poor job with the RAV to start with, so now they are bearing the consequences."

What does that mean? Why are you here?
It's simple. Katekebo and a couple other "members" keep hanging around to remind us how shortsighted their decision to buy a RAV4 was for them. It's almost like they're victims of some kind of a forced buy so they try to "save" others from buying the third best selling small SUV.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I do not know about anywhere else and just reporting. But I am starting to see a whole pile of the crosstrek on the roads. It seems in my world people are starting to get into them. I do see more rav4 than cr-v. I test drove a crosstrek but thought it was alittle small for me. I am surprised that I see more model yr 15's. Maybe they had a sale. Its funny how when you look for a car you see more and more of them. I still see a few of the honda elements around too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Although I don't live or die by Consumer Reports, I was surprised to see their negative feedback about the Lexus NX, and was wondering what the implications for the Rav4 might be. I believe they share a platform, including transmission, but wasn't sure how much else is shared. It seems like the ride/handling are the big complaints.

Thoughts?

Consumer Reports' Four Worst Cars of 2015
I just hope the huge grille trend goes the way of the Edsel...ewwww:

And then Consumer Reports saying the NX has "a firm jostling ride." Great. Just great. All RAV owners know what they mean by that, lol.

I do not know about anywhere else and just reporting. But I am starting to see a whole pile of the crosstrek on the roads. It seems in my world people are starting to get into them. I do see more rav4 than cr-v. I test drove a crosstrek but thought it was alittle small for me. I am surprised that I see more model yr 15's. Maybe they had a sale. Its funny how when you look for a car you see more and more of them. I still see a few of the honda elements around too.
Subaru has been running some pretty clever TV ads lately, Maybe it's paying off for them. Appeals to a broad age group and emphasizes their reliability/longevity--which may not be entirely true, but certainly effective.

Me, around town my unscientific eyeball poll sees plenty of Ford Escapes and RAV4s, with CR-V distant third, followed by Subie.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Almost put my money down on a Crosstrek hybrid until I looked into the trunk. Not only does it not have a 'real' spare tire, as is common these days, it also doesn't even have a temporary doughnut spare. Nothing! All it has is an inflation kit. Some good that will be if the sidewall of a tire fails.

Reactions: vanib
1 - 19 of 19 Posts