Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Would you be interested in a lexus version?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this while crusing the web:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109352#7

IL Exclusive: Lexus Mulls Small Crossover

Date posted: 02-17-2006

TOKYO — Toyota's upscale Lexus brand, as part of an ongoing expansion of its product portfolio, plans to introduce at least one more luxury crossover and is considering the addition of a smaller near luxury crossover based on the recently redesigned RAV4.

The proposed compact Lexus CUV would be positioned as a smaller sibling to the popular RX 330 and would be targeted at Acura's Accord-based RDX, which goes into production this summer. Sources familiar with Toyota's plans say the company could bring the smaller Lexus, which as yet has no name, to market as early as 2008.

The compact Lexus crossover would be built on Toyota's new MC global midsize platform, which also underpins the '07 Camry and '07 ES 350 sedans. The same platform will be used as the foundation for the 2009 RX 350, which replaces the current RX 330 in fall 2008.

Supplier sources say Toyota is also studying a proposal to consolidate production of the three Lexus vehicles — the ES 350, the RX 350, and the new compact crossover — at its new plant in Woodstock, Ontario, in 2008-'09.

The Lexus brand is planning to add a high-end crossover vehicle, based on its 2003 HPX concept, in 2008. The all-wheel-drive CUV, which will share its underpinnings with the IS sedan, will be imported from Japan and will be positioned to compete with the Infiniti FX.

What this means to you: Lexus continues to expand its lineup of people movers.

Wonder what changes they will make if they go ahead with this?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe. It would explain few things - like why US spec version does not have all the goodies in Euro and JDM versions, such as hids, nav, auto wipers, auto headlights, smart entry and IADS.

But who really knows? It could be the pricing simply. Toyota might have not been comfortable in selling Rav4 at 33k.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad they left so much off of the US version, as I would really want the rain sensing wipers and so forth. I like rain-sensing wipers souch that I would add them if I could obtain the parts at a a reasonable cost.

The navigation is the only thing I might not want, as we have a laptop which does all of that, although we are still experimenting with it, and a built-in system would eliminate the need for my wife/navigator to hold the laptop and the associated wires.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I doubt that there are plans to bring out a Lexus RAV4. Toyota would not have given us the V6 in the RAV4 when they would have planned on a luxury model. Also, the limited has lots of luxury features already.

You want Nav, get the double DIN insert and put one in. I doubt that somebody would pay a couple of grands extra just for rain sensing or other useless options.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting situation. I'm sure Lexus would like to have an SUV to sell in the mid 30k range but how do they make it better than the Rav4 limited, but worse than the RX?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Rienolf said:
The proposed compact Lexus CUV would be positioned as a smaller sibling to the popular RX 330
Eh, the current RAV is actually taller than the RX330. And the height and width are within a few inches of each other.

Any Lexified Rav4 would just be a virtual clone of the RX.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Toyota should have done it like Honda/Accura. Bring out a Lexus 240HP model and then follow up with the Toyota 200HP 4 banger.

Believe me, I am glad Toyota went the whole way and gave us something special with the V6. :thumbs_up: No need to spend $5k more for the lexus sign.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Er...........I'd like one. Toyota build brilliant cars mechanically but if you want a good interior and lots of extras you cannot beat a Lexus. And I would buy one. Just call it the Lexus Rav4 (I saw a rare Lexus Landcruiser (it became the LX470?) once and it made me smile, although the owner could not afford the petrol to run it! One of the first SUVs I saw with a fridge and a TV in the back seat).

It would be simple to do. You take a top-spec V6, change the badge and then chuck as much Lexus stuff into the (leather and wood as standard) interior as possible. Add smart Lexus wheels and away you go.

Or, you could do what Lexus (initially) did to the Landcruiser:

1) Put a V8 in it :lol:
2) add a height-adjustable "skyhook" suspension system. The automatic height control maintains the body at a more or less constant "mid-air" position regardless of speed or terrain. It lowers the car at high speed. A manual switch allows the driver to adjust ride height by 40 mm at the front, 50 mm at the rear.
3) Electronic shock absorbers automatically tune the suspension's stiffness through a range of 16 soft-to-hard damper settings, depending on road surface, speed and the attitude of the body.

That just about sums up the Lexus difference.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take one!

Just take the RAV4 Sport and Limited, combine them. Add nav and you'd have the Lexus RAV4.

Sport handling with 18in wheels, with the Limited's options. Sounds like a good buy to me. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: I'd take one!

NedKelly said:
Just take the RAV4 Sport and Limited, combine them. Add nav and you'd have the Lexus RAV4.

Sport handling with 18in wheels, with the Limited's options. Sounds like a good buy to me. :)
I would hope they would at least upgrade the engine to the 3.5L DI version, upgrade the interior a bit, and fix the rear end (make it a liftback).

It would be silly to have a nearly identical vehicle - kinda like the Camry and the ES :roll:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: I'd take one!

\"NedKelly\" said:

Sounds like something Acura would do, I hope Lexus is smart enough not to do that.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looked at the RX350, same 3.5, 5 speed auto as the RAV4, gee, what can I do with the money I saved?!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JuneBug said:
Just looked at the RX350, same 3.5, 5 speed auto as the RAV4, gee, what can I do with the money I saved?!
Its made on a different platform and has many more features. RX350 is not a RAV4 :roll:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it's got features and snob appeal, so what........compare them on KBB, size wise - inside/out. If I had gobs of cash I'd buy the Porshe thing, then I'd have show & GO!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
A nice car is not all about speed and engine. It is crazy to compare the RX to the RAV, not even in the same league in my opinion.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The G Man said:
A nice car is not all about speed and engine. It is crazy to compare the RX to the RAV, not even in the same league in my opinion.
Well the RX has all the bells and whistles. But the reason I got a RAV4 (V6) is that it has all the important FUNCTIONAL features in the base model; i.e.

stability control
traction control
HSA
DHA
5 speed AT (OK 6 would have been nicer)
ABS with EBD
electric PS
on demand 4WD
tilt/telescopic wheel
tire pressure monitoring
17" wheels
power!

The only thing I wanted that wasn't standard on the base model were the side curtain air bags... well maybe the roof rack but that seems to come "standard".

They can keep the auto air (manual works better), moon roof (have it on my other cars - rarely use it), wood dash (yippee), color coordinated door handles (double yippee plus they show wear more), leather seats (too hot), power seat ( I only need to adjust it once).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This might be it, wheelbase seems about right? Kinda ho hum, but better looking than the RAV4:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
syadasti said:
This might be it, wheelbase seems about right? Kinda ho hum, but better looking than the RAV4:

I think my RAV is a lot nicer looking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts