Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the rattles that drives me crazy is the rear licence plate. The dealership put on one of those cheap plastic licence plate frames which I have since taken off because it made a buzzing rattle every time I closed the rear door (plus it was ugly).
But that didn't fix the rattle...the licence plate still rattles every time I close the rear door. There are only 2 holes available on the back of the RAV for mounting bolts even though the licence plate has 4 holes--the bottom 2 holes on the plate don't line up with the other holes on the RAV. Does anyone have any easy ideas on how to mount the licence plate so I don't get that buzzy rattle every time I close the rear door??
(And, by the way, the dealership was finally able to fix the ticking in the engine compartment mentioned in "Squeak, Rattle & Rollers" in the next thread thanks to this Forum!)
cheers

·
Registered
986 Posts
Try some double-sided body moulding tape from 3M. Had the same problem and that's what fixed it for me.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dynomat is also good for this and they make one just for license plates...should run like $10 and you can usually find it or something similar at any car audio shop.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is Dynomat a kind of adhesive? I was hoping to not have to stick anything to the paint--I just don't get why the lower 2 holes on the body for mounting don't line up with the holes on the licence plate. I was thinking of maybe getting another (non-ugly dealer plastic) frame and backing it with some foam tape, but without being able to secure the bottom edge, I'm not sure if it will still rattle. This has easily become my biggest bugagoo about this RAV--this buzzy rattle makes my brand new car seem old and I hate that.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its got this black gooey stuff on the back and its also heavy. its also used inside door panels on around trunk area for sound dampening. u can check it out at www.dynamat.com

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya my plate used to rattle when i have my sub on... and same thing dynamat...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts