Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Rav4 limited and decided to take the toll-free route to work. Made it to my destination and during my lunch break realized my entire license plate had broken off. The frame and plate are both missing. Only left are the bolts and a piece of the mount for my frame. Is this a freak accident or has anyone had issues with the front license plate placement? I don't like how you can't nail down the bottom of your license plate so it is partially just hanging loose (Toyota mechanic drilled my front LP onto my vehicle).

I didn't hear any noises and was genuinely shocked at what I had seen. The toll-free way includes a lot of construction trucks so maybe something hit my front plate and snatched it off? I have no clue.

Has anyone figured out a better placement for their front license plate or I should just try again since it was a freak accident?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Only guess I have is you license plate prevent damage to something else.
I can't see any magical way of having the entire frame missing, and the plate -with the two bolts still secured in the plastic. Anything strong enough to tear the license plate off should have torn the front plastic apart.

Do/did both bolts appear to be screwed in equally -I don't know why a thief would put the screws back in but perhaps it was stolen.
Or the 21 limited has a different plate mount and/or location than the 22 XSE.
The plate is too far off the ground to catch anything while parking or driving. If a heavy object came at it, the plate then acted like a shield, however I still can't say how a metal license plate tore through the holes leaving the Toyota plastic intact.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,802 Posts
I have a 2021 Rav4 limited and decided to take the toll-free route to work. Made it to my destination and during my lunch break realized my entire license plate had broken off. The frame and plate are both missing. Only left are the bolts and a piece of the mount for my frame. Is this a freak accident or has anyone had issues with the front license plate placement? I don't like how you can't nail down the bottom of your license plate so it is partially just hanging loose (Toyota mechanic drilled my front LP onto my vehicle).

I didn't hear any noises and was genuinely shocked at what I had seen. The toll-free way includes a lot of construction trucks so maybe something hit my front plate and snatched it off? I have no clue.

Has anyone figured out a better placement for their front license plate or I should just try again since it was a freak accident?
My guess would be vandals. Just grab the edges and give a yank.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is

Does your state require an actual license plate on the front? If so, sounds like it was stolen.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've seen mangled front plates, it takes a lot to rip them off factory bolts
no idea what you mean by frame specifically, rav4 doesn't have frames,
just raw plate to bumper/tailgate and some screw bolts

at any rate if factory bolts were holding a frame on, they may not have had enough thread depth and grip in the first place

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've seen mangled front plates, it takes a lot to rip them off factory bolts
no idea what you mean by frame specifically, rav4 doesn't have frames,
just raw plate to bumper/tailgate and some screw bolts

at any rate if factory bolts were holding a frame on, they may not have had enough thread depth and grip in the first place
My 2000 XSE has a partial front frame. it's like a hat for the plate. Not sure why they decided it was a good idea to screw a rattly metal thing directly to the rear. They do have the rubber/foam pads of course but then you screw it tight enough and it looks silly at an angle. ha Sorry, ranted there for a moment.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I set a record for longest advertisement of my own purchases -about 1.5 weeks.
With the paper plates it needs something to mount to, I didn't purchase a frame until my plates arrived.
Fortunately no stickers to remove.
I went with the silicone ones like the link below. A little tough to get the plate in them but they look like they don't have a frame but they definitely cover the very sharp edges of the license plate; well at least the California ones. Hazards when washing and drying the car.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Oh wow, that looks like a great addition.
Then I could remove most of the weather striping from the back of my plate.
My back plate came with a a square foam piece I'm assuming came from the dealer when they put on the plate. Even though they are silicone, the foam block keeps slight tension on the plate so it doesn't rattle. What I really like about the silicone frames, well even if they were not silicone, I like how nothing is in the way when applying a new registration sticker. All the others had plate material partially in the way. By the way, the silicone has slits in the bottom edge so water doesn't get trapped.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My car has 2 small foam pieces

I added weather stripping along top at the edges, and spanning between the bolts. And a piece bottom/center in case it does rattle (AKA hit the paint).

The weather stripping of course compresses a lot so all it really does is keep the metal off the paint, more than adds much space.
I assume the bumpers were from Toyota, didn't consider dealership applied when they put the temporary plate on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I went out to try and take a picture of the top part but since the silicone is black, the car is magnetic grey and the license plate is white reflective, you couldn't tell where the silicone ended and the car body started.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts