Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
guys, I live in the north east,,, sothern ontario, where we drive under a hail of
salt4 months every year..
I had a corolla, 2003 , it was totaled by a stupid driver that did not stop at red light, rear ended my corolla.
It had 280k kilometers on it, and I was starting to have problems with the Cat converter before that,

When can I expect general rusting of the exhaust on my Rav4, and when will
the cat converter deplete itself of metallic elements ??

Anyone with older models, perhaps they can shed some light on the life expectancy ??

I know honda exhaust last a long, long time, but toyota's don't..

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Rav4s have had stainless steel exhaust systems since at least 2006, so rust will likely never be an issue, can't say for the cat converter and protector, but it's an emission warranted part which in the US is 8yrs or 80k miles, not sure about Canadian requirements tho.

·
Registered
54 Posts
guys, I live in the north east,,, sothern ontario, where we drive under a hail of
salt4 months every year..
I had a corolla, 2003 , it was totaled by a stupid driver that did not stop at red light, rear ended my corolla.
It had 280k on it, and I was starting to have problems with the Cat converter before that,

When can I expect general rusting of the exhaust on my Rav4, and when will
the cat converter deplete itself of metallic elements ??

Anyone with older models, perhaps they can shed some light on the life expectancy ??

I know honda exhaust last a long, long time, but toyota's don't..

thanks
I don't think anyone can tell how long a Cat Converter will last...It depends where you live I'd expect mostly. Weather, roads and the environment have a lot to do with longevity..I have a 01 Chevy Suburban as an example that now has plus 145,000 miles and never replaced converter and its always passed emissions standards..Of course I live in Arizona, that explains a lot...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Rav4s have had stainless steel exhaust systems since at least 2006, so rust will likely never be an issue, can't say for the cat converter and protector, but it's an emission warranted part which in the US is 8yrs or 80k miles, not sure about Canadian requirements tho.
I can see rust on the bolted together joints. Perhaps it's not stainless steel, or perhaps the process of welding a flange on the pipe is not rust proof. That's usually the point of failure in non-stainless exhaust systems.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
I can see rust on the bolted together joints. Perhaps it's not stainless steel, or perhaps the process of welding a flange on the pipe is not rust proof. That's usually the point of failure in non-stainless exhaust systems.

We've had this discussion before, one rusty connection doesn't mean they're all non-stainless, my 2006 looked like it was a couple years old when I traded it after over 8yrs of use, my HV looks like new as far as corrosion, there isn't any except for slight surface rust on the flange coming down from the exhaust manifold, the rest of the system is pristine except for dust/dirt.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/243097-do-all-2013-rav4s-have-stainless-steel-exhaust-systems.html#post2241801

1 - 5 of 5 Posts