Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a 2004 RAV4 Chilli.

I'd like to give it a lift and I have a few questions.

1) is it possible to just use springs?
2) who distributes these kits in North America (Canada)
3) how hard is it to do this job?
4) how much would it cost?
5) does it affect camber or will the tires wear unevenly?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes you can use lift springs with stock shocks but it depends on the height of the lift. The 2 types that we sell can be used with stock shocks. Yes you will need a wheel alignment after you intall the lift springs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kelly,

I talked to the member who has the 215/85/R16s. However, even though they fit without rubbing, I find they look a bit cramped (stupid) in the wheel wells. I thought 1.5" of lift would look much better.

Why do you think it'd cause problems?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
machman said:
1. Lower fuel mileage (larger tires).
2. Slower acceleration (larger tires).
3. Poorer cornering (lift).
4. Higher Center of Gravity (lift).

True... a 1.5" lift won't make a DRAMATIC change in the handling characteristics, but it certainly won't make an improvement :roll:

Here's what a 3" lift causes ---> http://rav4world.com/gallery/gallery3text/f350.html

The biggest problem area of fitting larger tires is not the up/down clearance, it's the area in front and behind the front tires. The P225/70R16's on my 4.2 model come VERY close to rubbing when making turns.

I guess if handling isn't a major concern... the 1.5" lift and larger tires would be OK.

I'm a fine one to talk about not doing this type of mod.... in my younger days I drove this :shock:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Kelly. However, I have more questions.

I have never understood how it is that larger tires give lower gas mileage. For example, at a given RPM in any gear the vehicle will actually be travelling faster than it did before the larger tires were installed, and thus covering more distance in a given period of time. Therefore, to travel the same actual speed as before, as measured by a GPS independent device, wouldn't the vehicle burn LESS fuel since to propel the vehicle at 100km/h the engine would only rev at 3500RPM as apposed to 4000RPM as previously required by the smaller tires? Granted, slower acceleration would still be an issue, it is independent of fuel economy.

Regarding the characteristics of a lifted RAVs handling, can anyone give me specific examples of the characteristics their RAVs have exhibited with a 1" (or more) lift in addition to taller than stock tires?

An ideal example would be a RAV with a 1.5" lift and 215/85/R16 tires.

Pics would be great too if you've got any!

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I lifted up my car for 40mm (1,5 in) using EOM ARB suspen.kit and changed tires to 235-75R16. however I havent got any improvements, only completely low acceleration and high gas mileage, but I can quite simple pass thru lots of snow etc.It looks good and looks bad, but if I knew it before I wouldnt do that. :!:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont want to sale this kit, cuz I dont want to spend additional 800 to remove it from the car. :D And anyway it gives you much better ride than stock suspension and ability to pass everewhere you want to. :D
I gonna go back to original size this summer, so I can leave with that problem during the winter, especially I`ll use those AT REVO only in winter.

My cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/580081

G

·
0 Posts
Hi ser02rav4,

I like to know which model of OME shock you are using? How much longer OME shock compare to original? I also like to know the model number of the replacement front cartridge. Please adivse. Thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
machman said:
+ Unsprung weight is the devil(larger tires)

Larger tires have more rolling resistance which equals poorer fuel mileage.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
machman said:
hey are those changes, that will result in puting on the lift kit, are really bad?? I'm especially concerned about what is the fuel mileage going to be afte 1.5 lift.

C

·
0 Posts
The biggest reason for poorer acceleration and fuel mileage are the fact that most vehicles when lifted use the stock gears in the differential. This is what causes the poor acceleration, and you will find just the opposite of a lowered vehicle rather than high revving it will be low revving. What this means is you shift at lower RPMS to keep up speed or accelerate and loose top end power.

As far as the handling characteristics of the lifted vehicle, and this is the same for all vehicles, the vehicle becomes more top heavy. This means when you corner it will feel and act different, noticeable at higher speeds. You also change the areodynaics of your vehicle, big surprise, there is more air that can pass under the vehicle than previously (another hit to your MPG).

Unless you really need to lift the vehicle for off-road or deep snow type conditions, I have found the stock Rav4 to be more than sufficient for running around on paved and unpaved roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts