Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
RAV4 Hybrid XSE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a listing of the audible beep codes for the rear lift gate?

My lift gate intermittently:
Starts to open then halts
Opens fully and emits a single long beep
Opens fully and emits two short beeps (maybe this is the ’normal’ state?)
Starts to close then halts

Whenever it acts up I’m able to open/close it by hand - a little stiff but it always works. And never fails to latch the via the electric actuator once the door is manually closed. And after driving for 15 minutes after a fault it’s unlikely to repeat the issue.

I think it’s trying to tell me what it thinks the problem is but I don’t speak its language! I’ve done a bunch of web searching, but haven't found a list of the beep diagnostic codes.

It’s been having trouble for a few months - seems to be worse in colder weather? I thought it might be sensing something pressing on the pinch-detector strips, so I’ve carefully cleaned those as well as all of the areas around the hinges and latch, but no luck so far.

TIA.

2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is any damage to the rubber button on the bottom edge of the door. It could be damaged and being pressed all the time. As you might know, this button is also used to set an limited opening angle so it might be something to check.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is the same problem I am having with ours. 2019 hybrid limited. Took it to dealer they are say it is out of warranty even though when I first told them about it it was under the 3 years and the mileage but they couldn’t book it in for 2 weeks and I was going to be away for 2 different weddings and then had two medical issues to deal with. Now it is 1 month passed 3 years and passed mileage. They r saying accessory battery has failed even though the problem exists even when car is running

·
Registered
RAV4 Hybrid XSE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"They r saying accessory battery has failed" - I'm guessing they meant the 'auxiliary battery' - the 12v battery in the rear compartment, not the HV battery used by the hybrid drive. I agree - it's difficult to see how the auxiliary battery could fail in a way that would cause the lift gate to fail this way while the engine was running. I think it's much more likely that some sensor is reporting some kind of obstruction to the computer, which then dutifully and correctly refuses to further 'crush' the obstruction. But I would have expected the dealer's diagnostic gear to be able to read the error codes to at least figure out why the computer thought it had to fall into a safe mode.

I still wish I knew what the beep codes are trying to tell me. Even a recording of what a normal open and close cycle would help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"They r saying accessory battery has failed" - I'm guessing they meant the 'auxiliary battery' - the 12v battery in the rear compartment, not the HV battery used by the hybrid drive. I agree - it's difficult to see how the auxiliary battery could fail in a way that would cause the lift gate to fail this way while the engine was running. I think it's much more likely that some sensor is reporting some kind of obstruction to the computer, which then dutifully and correctly refuses to further 'crush' the obstruction. But I would have expected the dealer's diagnostic gear to be able to read the error codes to at least figure out why the computer thought it had to fall into a safe mode.

I still wish I knew what the beep codes are trying to tell me. Even a recording of what a normal open and close cycle would help.
i have since had the aux battery tested. it has passed two load tests 1st 200 amp load for 10 seconds, 2nd 250 amps for 10 seconds, also watched that battery voltage several times as lift gate was in operation battery never went down to 12v. also as soon as the key turned on the battery voltage jumps up to almost 14 meaning that as soon as you turn the vehicle on the aux battery is connected to the hybrid battery. back to the dealership to show them this info and find out how they did a test 2 days before and showed a aux battery voltage of 0.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts