Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into this and was hoping someone could help me out. Are heightening coils, lift kits or both the way to do this? I'm not able to find much on this. I don't want a huge lift but 1.5-2 inches would be nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought front and rear ARB/OME 1.5" springs yesterday. I'm pairing them with some 245/65/17 BFG AT Ko2s.

Also changing out the front and rear struts and shocks with new KYB struts.

I'll keep everyone posted. These forums are difficult to pull information from. I just created a Facebook group called "Toyota RAV4 4.3 owners of North America" you're all welcome to watch the progress of the off road build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought front and rear ARB/OME 1.5" springs yesterday. I'm pairing them with some 245/65/17 BFG AT Ko2s.

Also changing out the front and rear struts and shocks with new KYB struts.

I'll keep everyone posted. These forums are difficult to pull information from. I just created a Facebook group called "Toyota RAV4 4.3 owners of North America" you're all welcome to watch the progress of the off road build.
Great, following your page! How much did the springs cost? And new struts/shocks? Could you let me know later on how much of a difference it really is?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Also, you can safely put 245/65-18 tires on 18s on these and that adds about half an inch I think. I attached a photo of mine (they're my winter tires so my summer are just stock)
Yep, that is how it works out. 18" tires are good for another 1/2" without compromising handling. Lifting is a whole different thing, and in my opinion lifting the RAV4 is a big mistake in the long run.

The RAV4 is not an off-road vehicle.

I am researching, considering this as a replacement for my RAV4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted an FJ so bad, but hmmm, may not lift it then. I don't go off-roading but I like the look without the cost of an FJ or 4Runner

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yep, that is how it works out. 18" tires are good for another 1/2" without compromising handling. Lifting is a whole different thing, and in my opinion lifting the RAV4 is a big mistake in the long run.

The RAV4 is not an off-road vehicle.

I am researching, considering this as a replacement for my RAV4.
A great looking and very capable vehicle, but I've heard the blind spots on an FJ are unbelievably brutal. Getting in and out of the back seat is no picnic either.

Later models came with a backup camera, which did help some.

The FJ was on my short list when I bought the RAV.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
With respect to a nubee, the whole project is a waste of time and money,
I can't really disagree, especially given how quickly the RAV4's 4WD system overheats and shuts down, rendering it a 2WD vehicle at that point.

If you want a Jeep, buy a Jeep.

Seriously.

If you're just doing it for looks and not expecting to actually take it seriously off road, then have fun with it, I guess.

But keep in mind that lifting a vehicle runs the drive shafts at angles for which they were not designed, and parts will wear out faster and can cause leaks when seals give out faster. Read more (and see an image explaining the issue) here:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/188626-colorado-mountain-rally-lift.html#post1863074

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
17 Posts
1.5" is not an aggressive lift and still allows for a bit more stance with bigger wider tires. I may very well eat these words. please also keep in mind that I am not rock crawling this thing but simply driving it on dirt trails. you can follow my adventure on this Facebook group: "Toyota RAV4 4.3 Owners Of North America" https://www.facebook.com/groups/1781127298570203/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can't really disagree, especially given how quickly the RAV4's 4WD system overheats and shuts down, rendering it a 2WD vehicle at that point.

Tell me more about this. When I was in Utah a couple of weeks ago we drove our RAV on a couple of dirt roads. Recent flash floods had tore up a couple of washes. I wish I had my truck as one of the roads was over 60 miles long. BUt we were on a family trip and the 1000 road miles would have been terrible in my truck.

Does the clutch in the rear diff over heat. At one point on a steeper looser climb I engaged the 4wd as I was mainly under 25mph.

As the RAV ages and the boys get older such that we take more adventuring trip I might consider lifting the RAV some and fitting that prototype skid plate I bought a couple of years ago onto the RAV.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Ha, I think not. I just finished the 2" springs, Firestone Airbags, skid plates and new struts. This thing handles and looks amazing
Good luck to you, Sir. I look forward to details of your off-road adventures, especially pictures of it at-work off-road and receipts of repairs.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think it's worth repeating:

...given how quickly the RAV4's 4WD system overheats and shuts down, rendering it a 2WD vehicle at that point.

If you want a Jeep, buy a Jeep.
BTW that's exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago, some time after my previous post. See attached image. (Yes, they're both mine.)

Also, no worries about a soft underbelly getting badly damaged ($$$) like on a RAV4, especially with the additional aftermarket skid plates the previous owner added to this Jeep. :thumbs_up:

But all adventures, in whatever you drive, are great things! I hope you have a blast in your RAV. I do in mine, I just don't take it off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
With respect to a nubee, the whole project is a waste of time and money,

I understand exactly what you mean. I've said this about a million times to people building Honda. ''Don't waste your time and money with a Civic... if you want a sport car just buy and build a Supra!''

But with time I learned that everyone can do what they want with their time and money. Now to my customers at the shop I say: ''Build it for you, not for what others think about your project!'' Yes if they ask me, I will tell them pro's and con's... but the final decision belongs to them.

A few years ago when I was in the Army, I loved to drive a lot of military vehicles off road. My ''dream'' vehicle was a 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser like the ones the Portuguese Army had when I was serving in Bosnia. But those L-C are very rare in Canada, rotten and overpriced.

I needed a cheap and reliable 4wd vehicle for daily use with my wife and 3 kids.... and able to do light/medium off road when come week-ends. I bought a 2001 RAV4. I've done a lift-kit, taller KO2's tires, rear diff LSD, RAV4.1 transmission with slower 1st gear and lockable transfer-case, etc. Now my kids love to go off road, and my RAV4.2 capabilities are very surprising! We love it! Some ''real 4x4 guys'' who were laughing at me are now happy when I'm going off road with them.

Ok, I think my post is long enough! Haha

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I needed a cheap and reliable 4wd vehicle for daily use with my wife and 3 kids.... and able to do light/medium off road when come week-ends. I bought a 2001 RAV4. I've done a lift-kit, taller KO2's tires, rear diff LSD, RAV4.1 transmission with slower 1st gear and lockable transfer-case, etc. Now my kids love to go off road, and my RAV4.2 capabilities are very surprising! We love it! Some ''real 4x4 guys'' who were laughing at me are now happy when I'm going off road with them.

Ok, I think my post is long enough! Haha

That is pretty awesome little rig your got there. Yuo wheel with your wife and 3 kids all in there. Must be a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I drove Korean war era Dodge ambulances in-service. One would be my dream off-road camper. Dual range 4WD, water sealed and one had a working under-carriage gas filter for when we drove through fire and smoke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts