Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota RAV4
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to check my rear brakes to see if the shoes need to be replaced. I ordered OEM front brake pads already but I want to have the rear brake shoes in hand in case I need them. I have an appointment with a master mechanic (brother-in-law) in a couple of weeks. He is going to tutor me in how to do a brake job. Below is a photo of I believe the rear differential carrier. It looks like that point just left of the exhaust pipe has been used to jack up both rear wheels. Anyone agree/disagree with this? That point doesn't look that stout, but there's not much weight either.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1997 Manual 2 Door Rav4
54 Posts
The owner's manual for my 2 door says that the only proper place to jack is the rear suspension arm joints. It's possible that it's different for the four-door, but I personally use two jacks, one on each side.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota RAV4
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The owner's manual for my 2 door says that the only proper place to jack is the rear suspension arm joints. It's possible that it's different for the four-door, but I personally use two jacks, one on each side.
By "jacks" do you mean jack stands or floor jacks? My reason for finding a central location for the floor jack is that I want both rear wheels off the ground. Then I will put my jack stands on both sides of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1997 Manual 2 Door Rav4
54 Posts
By "jacks" do you mean jack stands or floor jacks? My reason for finding a central location for the floor jack is that I want both rear wheels off the ground. Then I will put my jack stands on both sides of the vehicle.
I mean that I use two separate car jacks for both sides as I don't own a larger floor jack. It's what works for me, but your situation is different so I may not be of any help unfortunately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Use jack STANDS when working. Never leave the car up on a jack while working on it unless you are cool with the car falling on you.
I'm sure there will be naysayers... "I do it all the time. The car has never fallen on me."
I have never been in a car accident where I would have been thrown from the vehicle but I still wear my seatbelt.
It isn't hard or even all that time consuming to put jack stands under the car, and I need all of you alive and well so I can get RAV advice from you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts