Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,424 Posts
Nice installation! However, I'm not wild about attaching your power leads directly to the battery terminals with no fuse. Unless I'm missing something, that red wire should have an inline fuse as close to the positive terminal as possible. Otherwise if that red wire shorts to the frame, fire will be the result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice installation! However, I'm not wild about attaching your power leads directly to the battery terminals with no fuse. Unless I'm missing something, that red wire should have an inline fuse as close to the positive terminal as possible. Otherwise if that red wire shorts to the frame, fire will be the result.
Good catch, there is a fuse that is hidden where the positive and negative wires connect, I bought a wiring kit from amazon so I knew it had everything I need

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just recently put a 32in LED light bar to my roof rack, wired to trigger with high-beems, I included pics for anyone interested in doing this. It got a bit tricky but Id be happy to give advice
View attachment 158290 View attachment 158292 View attachment 158293 View attachment 158294 View attachment 158295 View attachment 158296 View attachment 158298 View attachment 158299 View attachment 158300 View attachment 158300
I am trying to do a similar mod to my gen4 2017 SE... the main obstacle for me is trying to get the cable routed to my roof mount. I am seeing very few options and I'm willing to drill a hole in the roof to route the cable. I see that you routed the cable underneath the windshield seal what process did you take to do that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am trying to do a similar mod to my gen4 2017 SE... the main obstacle for me is trying to get the cable routed to my roof mount. I am seeing very few options and I'm willing to drill a hole in the roof to route the cable. I see that you routed the cable underneath the windshield seal what process did you take to do that?
I have a 2017 Limited and was thinking of running the wiring through the headliner and out the same hole as the shark fin. I am more comfortable putting a hole in the fin than the roof but now I am thinking using the windshield pillar....
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theres a rubber flap you lift with your finger and tuck the wire in

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am just wrapping up this same install, but on the front bumper. I am having a little trouble with the high beam trigger though. I am currently tapped into the high beam positive on the drivers side and the bar is coming on with the DRL's. how have you overcome this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
that was absolutely correct. moving my wire tap over to the passenger side high beam RED wire allowed full function of the DRL's, high beams, and light bar. the bar now only works when the high beams are turned on.

thank you for helping me get this corrected!

·
Registered
942 Posts
The factory DRL circuit ties both high beam bulbs in a series configuration through their wiring. In the below diagram, the red thicker wire carries power from the battery to the driver (A14) and passenger (A22) high beams through DRL NO. 2 Relay (green box) since DIM is enabled by default when the vehicle is on. The high beam white wires are likely tied near the DRL NO. 4 relay shown by the dotted red line. Thus, there are 3 wires that carry power, so when you had tapped the driver high beam (A14), the ~6V voltage level was high enough to turn on the LED light bar. The only wire that isn't powered is the passenger high beam (A22) red wire, where it ties to ground through the normally closed contact of the DRL NO. 3 Relay, shown by black wire.
Rectangle Slope Font Line Schematic

When the high beam is turn on, EVERYTHING is on, including the low beams and all the associated relays. The high beam red wires carry power and white wires are tied to ground for the circuit to complete. Thus, the passenger (A22) red wire would be the proper one to use if DRL is enabled.
Rectangle Schematic Slope Font Parallel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts