Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a small snowmobile trailer (6'x8') that I turned into a kayak trailer and noticed that whenever I towed it, in town it was always very loud inside the cabin. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why. With some help from my soon to be father-in-law, we determined that the hitch was rattling inside the receiver, even though they both say they are 2" parts. I did some searching online and came across a number of RV forums that talked about using a hitch tightener/anti rattle stabilizer. I found one on amazon here for about $20. (I guess they are well known in the RV/boating world...) I just received it today and took the trailer out to test it. What a night and day difference! It took about 5 minutes to put on and went from being so loud that it was embarrassing to drive through town to being so quiet that I almost forgot it was there!

Pictures are also in my albums.

Maybe others have heard of this, but it was new to me! I guess as a guy in his early 20's I don't know as much as I thought I did! :D surprise surprise Hopefully this helps someone else with the same issue!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for posting, I never heard of these before either. Can you still remove the receiver from the hitch without removing the stabilizer.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately you can't, you have to remove the stabilizer first. I only do it once in a while so it shouldn't be a big issue for me. The one that Quickdtoo posted looks like it may be easier to take on and off.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
The internal part(large nut and spring) on locking pin anti-rattle device stays inside the ball mount tube, when you unlock and remove the pin, it stays inside and you put the pin back thru it to keep it in place when you're not using it. I have two of them, the other stays inside my hitch rack which doesn't use a ball mount, it's easier not having to swap them back and forth, it takes a little finesse to install the nut and spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts