Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new here.

Been searching the web for some help on installing these pedals that I bought. I'm not really sure about the eletrical parts/panels of the Rav4 and was hoping some of you would know from experience. My question is where do I plug in the wire so that it works with the light switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums Whacko. :D

I don't understand why you would need pedals that light up? :roll:

Anyways, all you need to do is turn on your lights and see what other interior pieces light up too. Then you can wire in your kit to that source. Just make sure that you locate the right wires and use some T-taps/wire-connectors to make the job easier. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I used to have a light up pedals too for my rav4 but I didn't hooked them up to anything thing in the car only to the charger for the cellphone the used cig lighter as power source

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks boys! Still trying and it's still not working! :(

·
Registered
875 Posts
derek and me actually DISagree on something?

...well not exactly. I'm a light man and I can definitely see why you'd want pedals that light up....b/c you can!!! Tha'td be great, but the reason I didn't get it was: 1) i'm not an electrician either and couldn't hook it up if i spent 10 hours on it (though i've heard that tapping into stuff may not be as safe as going directly to the battery source) 2) The particular ones I've seen available at stores weren't of the best quality.

Sorry I cna't help, but maybe you could convert the wires to a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it in there. I'm really not sure, but let us know when you figure it out. It'd be cool to see. Oh!!....check cardomain.com, identify someone who has it on another car (civic or other) and ask them. Send a mass email and you'll get a reply. Most people who show off their cars on that site are more than willing to share what they know with anyone who asks. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to have illuminated pedals in my '01. The pedals had EL (electroluminescent) material on top of them. Each pedal had two wires coming out of it that went into a little black-box transformer, the transformer then had two wires coming out of it that were to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system.

It's pretty easy, if that's the sort of pedals you have. From the transformer, the ground wire goes to any convenient ground-point, and the + wire you would hook up probably to something that comes on with the headlights. I had mine wired to something that came on with the car so my pedals were lit even in the daytime which didn't make much sense. EL material has a limited lifetime and after about 3 years the pedals were no longer lit up.

Anyhow the easiest place (IMHO) to tap into +12v switched with the headlights, is probably the back of the radio. There is a wire there which comes on when the lights are on, and you can splice into it easily then drop the wire down behind the dash to wherever you mount the pedal's transformer.

-Stephanie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts