Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to putting these in. I got a dimmer inline from Amazon. I plan to wire into my 12v cigarette lighter line. It looks pretty easy to replace the led strip on the bottom too Incase they go out one day. I got these from car trim. Now that they are tested and working I will toss them in the car. They are a deeper blue in person. My camera sucks on this phone. It is also 10 am on a sunny day.
Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Auto part Automotive exterior

Light Lighting Gadget Electrical wiring Cable

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I installed them. But I'm looking for improvement. I wired then into 12v cigarette lighter so they come on when the car is on basically when I press the ignition button. How ever I think these would be better wired into the dome light wiring in the a pillar so they light up when you approach the car and turn off as the car door is closed ignition started same as the dome light. I'll have to do that another day.
Probably clean up the wires a bit also.

Attachments

Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 馃嚡馃嚨
How flat do they lay in the back? I remember a funny curve causing some versions to have a subtle gap.

Small things like this are a nice small project when you are bored... :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They had a slight warp/curve maybe but the double stick tape is pretty strong so position it correctly the first time. I also put some silicon in a few spots on the back to make sure it sticks. It's now more secure on there than the plastic guards next to it that cover all the wires. $35 dollars or so it's a cool upgrade. I got the tire pressure monitor from the same website too.

Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
I was looking into doing those also but was thinking that the dome fuse has constant power. Or does it only get power when lights turn on?
Yes, the dome fuse in the fuse panel does have constant power. It powers all interior lights including the dome, map, cargo, vanity and ambient lights. But that would not be suitable for the lighted door sills because it is always on, even if the car off.

The dome, map and vanity (sun visor) lights have their positive power through a relay. The negative of the dome light is controlled by the Main Body ECU for the fading and dimming functions. Thus tapping into any of those lights are not suitable for powering the door sills.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Peripheral Font Gadget Adapter Cable

Gadget Measuring instrument Tool Auto part Electronic device

The weekend is here I got all I need to start. So which fuse can I tap for results for doorsill and footwell lights to power on with proximity like the dome lights. Any idea where the doom light relay is if I can't tap the fuse? Let me know please it would save me testing wires and fuses. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would just tap into the footwell light.
Not there or I would thanks though. Plus I want it on on proximity like the dome light as you approach the car. I have it on 12v cigarette lighter now which is ok. I believe the next step is studying the wiring diagram for 2020 RAV4. I think the relay is somewhere next to the dome light.

Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
I would just tap into the footwell light.
Not there or I would thanks though. Plus I want it on on proximity like the dome light as you approach the car. I have it on 12v cigarette lighter now which is ok. I believe the next step is studying the wiring diagram for 2020 RAV4. I think the relay is somewhere next to the dome light.
Try the positive side of the dome light (not map lights) which is pin 1, red wire. It is turned on on off by a relay which gets a signal from the main body ECU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts