Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other threads (I swapped my driver door buttons with backlit ones) have addressed this, but it is hard to piece together all the details, so I though I would start a new thread, with the details.

To replace the passenger door lock switch with a lighted one, you need three parts:
1. Part number 84930-0E160 lighted door lock switch from a Camry, Avalon Highlander, etc.
2. Two each of part number 82998-12690 repair wire. This will fit into the existing connector for the door lock switch to provide power for the lights in the new switch. Strip off the insulation and tin the bare wire on the far end of the repair wire.
Both of these are available from your Toyota dealer or online.

Procedure:
1. Remove the passenger side panel with the existing switches. Unplug the connectors to the switches. Remove the existing door lock switch and replace with the new, lighted one.
2. Toyota connectors use a double lock feature for the wire pins. To install the new wire pins (2 above) in the existing connector, you must lift the secondary lock bar on the side of the connector for the door lock switch. This picture shows that bar lifted for pin insertion:

Electrical wiring Cable Wood Circuit component Gadget

3. Insert the new pins in the empty positions (pins 1 and 3) of the door lock switch connector. Orient them the same way as the exiting wires; don't force them; they go in easily if the orientation is correct. Pin 1 will be the negative wire and pin three will be the positive wire, so use different colored wires so you can keep track of them. I used a green wire for the positive, and white wire w/black stripe for the negative. When the pins are fully inserted, push down on the secondary lock bar:

Hood Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire

4. The other, tinned ends of the repair wire, are inserted into the back of the connector that goes to the window switches. The positive wire goes into pin 2 (light green wire), and the negative wire goes into pin 7 (white w/ black stripe). Push the wires in as far as you can so the bare wire will contact the existing pins: (note the white connector in this picture is the adapter wire for the CarTrimHome lighted window switches which you may or may not have. This wiring will work whether you have the CarTrimHome switches or not).

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Line Cable Electrical supply

5. Secure the new wires with cable ties, reinstall the connectors into the switches and test.

Car Automotive design Fixture Personal luxury car Tints and shades

·
Registered
11 Posts
4. The other, tinned ends of the repair wire, are inserted into the back of the connector that goes to the window switches. The positive wire goes into pin 2 (light green wire), and the negative wire goes into pin 7 (white w/ black stripe). Push the wires in as far as you can so the bare wire will contact the existing pins: (note the white connector in this picture is the adapter wire for the CarTrimHome lighted window switches which you may or may not have. This wiring will work whether you have the CarTrimHome switches or not).
Is it possible to just use wiretaps on the cartrimhome harness side? This way the factory wiring is not disturbed, but a wiretap could provide a more solid physical connection than just inserting the wire into the back of the existing connector?

Nice write up by the way!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Yes, you can use 3M wire taps, either on the OEM wires or the CarTrimHome adapter wires (window switches or door handle bowl lights). I wanted the instructions to be used by anyone whether they had the CTHome switches/bowl lights or not.

·
Registered
833 Posts
First of all thank you for taking the time and effort to create this thread with the details of how to make it work.
I am on the fence as to whether this is worth the time and effort for me since I have already installed the lighted window switch which gives you an orientation if you know the lock is in front of it.
This fix strikes me as something that crosses a threshold that most DIY folks would avoid unless they have soldering experience.
I would think that somebody like CarTrimHome would be in a good position to contract out and sell this as a plug-and-play installation and with the number of potential vehicles being high might be profitable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First of all thank you for taking the time and effort to create this thread with the details of how to make it work.
I am on the fence as to whether this is worth the time and effort for me since I have already installed the lighted window switch which gives you an orientation if you know the lock is in front of it.
This fix strikes me as something that crosses a threshold that most DIY folks would avoid unless they have soldering experience.
I would think that somebody like CarTrimHome would be in a good position to contract out and sell this as a plug-and-play installation and with the number of potential vehicles being high might be profitable.
From what FKHeath describes, everything seems reversible. The additional wires that need to be added to deliver power to the illuminated switch simply slide into place, and could be easily removed at a future point if needed. If you use the 3M wire taps, you can tap into the cartrimhome dongle that many already have to light the window switch. No soldering should be required? Even if you had to tap into the factory wiring harness, the 3M taps make it very clean, really just displacing the insulation where it attaches to.

I’m really waiting at this point to see what’s coming out on the 2022 model, to see if the passenger lock switch is backlit, and the main reason for me is so the icons match the factory ones on the drivers side. Even if the new switch for 2022 is backlit, we will probably have to still supply the power wires to light it up. Otherwise, FKHeath does a great write up on already existing available parts to go ahead and implement this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So it looks like the passenger door lock buttons on the 2022 are lit up, with the same style icons as the current 2021 and earlier RAV4 icon styles. Can anyone figure out what the part number of this new backlit switch is? I wonder if we can wire it similar to the Camry one, but now have matching icons?

Netbook Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget

New 2022 RAV4 switch from factory

Rectangle Tints and shades Font Auto part Fashion accessory

Buttons from 2021 RAV4 stock not backlit

Car Vehicle Fixture Personal luxury car Automotive design

Backlit installed buttons from cartrimhome (Style B)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for very much the guide @FKHeath . I was excited to install this mod this weekend, when my parts arrived. Much to my surprise and disappointment when I ordered 82998-12690 only a single measly wire came in the mail for the shocking price of 18$, what an absolute robbery. Would anyone happen to know a cheaper (I personally don't care if it's official toyota or not) alternative? I refuse to spend 36$ on 2 measly wires...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for very much the guide @FKHeath . I was excited to install this mod this weekend, when my parts arrived. Much to my surprise and disappointment when I ordered 82998-12690 only a single measly wire came in the mail for the shocking price of 18$, what an absolute robbery. Would anyone happen to know a cheaper (I personally don't care if it's official toyota or not) alternative? I refuse to spend 36$ on 2 measly wires...
(2 pieces) 82998-12690 Repair terminal w/8" lead | eBay Two for $12. Choose a color.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks again FKHeath, I'm loving the new lights. Note to others doing this, be gentle trying to pop the dual lock toyota connectors.

I wish we could somehow get the 2022 lighted mirror switches. I know it's possible to get the Japanese ones, but those have the folding mirror section, which even if doesn't do anything if you don't have the folding mirrors, would bother me.

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the cartrimhome buttons and harness. Is it normal for the passenger and rear buttons to stay lit up whenever the car is turned on and the driver side to not light up when the parking light/headlight stalk is in the off position? The driver side buttons light up only when you rotate the stalk to the parking light setting or headlights "on position"

I want to assume this is the case since all but the driver side "steal" power from the button "positive"(always hot when vehicle is on) wire when using the harness.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed the cartrimhome buttons and harness. Is it normal for the passenger and rear buttons to stay lit up whenever the car is turned on and the driver side to not light up when the parking light/headlight stalk is in the off position? The driver side buttons light up only when you rotate the stalk to the parking light setting or headlights "on position"

I want to assume this is the case since all but the driver side "steal" power from the button "positive"(always hot when vehicle is on) wire when using the harness.
Yes, that is normal. The drivers door switches only light up when the headlights are on, but the passenger switches are always on when the car is running.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any news on when we are going to be able to get a hold of that 2022 rav4 illuminated passenger door lock switch??
Even if you can get the '22 illuminated switch, it won't light up in an earlier RAV4 because the wiring is not in place for it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sure we can find a way to make it light up. The issue is getting one. I can't find it online anywhere.
I guess I just don't know why you are so insistent on having a '22 passenger lock switch for an earlier RAV4. The passenger lock switch I tell about at the start of this thread is genuine Toyota, it looks exactly like the other Toyota switches, and I show how to do the wiring so the lights on it work. But to each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I just don't know why you are so insistent on having a '22 passenger lock switch for an earlier RAV4. The passenger lock switch I tell about at the start of this thread is genuine Toyota, it looks exactly like the other Toyota switches, and I show how to do the wiring so the lights on it work. But to each his own, I guess.
I like it because it matches the cartrim kit I have already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look at my photos above. The door lock switch is OEM, the window switch is CarTrimHome. To me they also match.
I’m also holding out for the ’22 switch as well. I want the lock and unlock icons all all the switches on all 4 doors to match. Getting the camry one would work, but the symbols are different from what originally came from the factory on my RAV4. The drivers door switches that I’ve already replaced with cartrimhome is the style that matches my original part.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts