Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 Rav I4 with about 123,000 km's on it will dim the lights a little when driving as I adjust the power seat or when lightly accelerating. I bought a new battery for it this summer and it was doing that before I changed it. Is my alternator starting to go? What could be causing my headlights to dim intermittently while driving?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would check the alternator, looks like it can't keep up with the charging.

Larry

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys and gals....I'll have to wait till at least next weekend to check anything. Getting really cold here now and back to work I go after the christmas break.... :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far so good! :) I'll check the battery with the engine running this weekend....Any input on what voltages I should get?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The battery should be checked by doing a load capacity test. Also if testing the voltage that should be done with everything including the engine switched off. After a couple of hours with everything off it should be in the 12.7 volts range. But a battery can have good voltage and still be unable to function properly, hence the load test. Many auto supply shops will test the battery for no cost, but one should use one with a good rep, so that the test will be honest and not done simply to push the vehicle owner to buy a new battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts