Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used 97 Rav 4 4 wheel drive and noticed that in evening when i have to turn on the lights there is no light or back lit for the gear selector for the auto shift until i pull the auto shifter out off park then the selectors for the auto shift light up.Is this normal?I would think they should light up when the lights are turned on.If this is not normal can u advise what and were to look to remedy.Thx

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
No, it's not normal. It sounds like the bulb is loose in the socket, or the shift mechanism is moving the wire around, causing the bulb to make contact. Every once in a great while, I'll notice mine is not lit up. A good whack on the side of the console always makes it come back on!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Believe the shift indicator has individual bulbs for each gear. Just replace the bulb.

Just one suggestion... if you're going in, replace every single bulb, while you're in there. When I bought my '00 Camry with 212k miles, I started, then gave up... once one goes, another will go in two weeks. Ended up replacing every single bulb, including the indicators, back lights, climate cluster (omg, that was a bundle of joy), ignition key, ash tray... everything. Good for another 15yrs. ; )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thx will do,I believe on mine its the main wire harness coming in as all the lights will work or none till
I pull the gear selector out off park then they all light up at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts