Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 base model 2wd with 84000+ miles. After heavy rain last night I used the vehicle for about 15 minutes then all of a sudden the ABS, brake and anti skid lights came on. I parked the vehicle shut the engine waited and started again. Lights still on. I waited again about 1/2 hour started car again and lights still on. Drove car home and on the way about 5 minutes lights went off and are still off. Any ideas. By the way this is the first ever problem with vehicle.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a 2006 base model 2wd with 84000+ miles. After heavy rain last night I used the vehicle for about 15 minutes then all of a sudden the ABS, brake and anti skid lights came on. I parked the vehicle shut the engine waited and started again. Lights still on. I waited again about 1/2 hour started car again and lights still on. Drove car home and on the way about 5 minutes lights went off and are still off. Any ideas. By the way this is the first ever problem with vehicle.
Perhaps you hit a puddle just before the lights came on? A sensor or an electrical connector might have gotten wet.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
all of a sudden the ABS, brake and anti skid lights came on.
According to this STICKY, that combination of lights indicate a problem with the braking system (and not a problem with the engine management system).

One of the most common causes for these lights to come on, is a malfunctioning ABS wheel sensor. Sometimes wheel sensors can cause problems when they become dirty, and just cleaning them can extend their life. In your case it is most likely that your wheel sensor was splashed with dirty water when you drove through a puddle. When the water/dirt dissipated the sensor began working again.

This may have been a one time occurrence, or it might be an early indication of an impending failure. If the lights return, the sticky also gives instructions on retrieving the codes to help you determine exactly what sensor is causing the problem.

As long as the lights remain off, you should have no concern about the safety of your RAV4 being compromised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts