Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Rav4. Recently I found the headlights on in the vehicle. When I went to turn the lights off I found that the light switch was in the off position. I managed to get them off by turning the lights on and off. I went away and found the lights on again about 15 minutes later. I managed to repeat this 4 times before I removed the ground from the battery.

Anyone had any experience with this? I found a TSB for a Corolla that mentioned a similar problem and recommended a switch replacement.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Do you have any type of alarm system, remote starter, keyless entry or other similar system installed?

It could just be wear and tear on the switch.

Random things like this tend to occur more often during the winter because of the frequent changes between warm and cold for the parts in the vehicle.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff said:
Do you have any type of alarm system, remote starter, keyless entry or other similar system installed?

It could just be wear and tear on the switch.

Random things like this tend to occur more often during the winter because of the frequent changes between warm and cold for the parts in the vehicle.
No, None of the above.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you managed to get the lights to go off by turning the switch on and off repeatdly, then more than likely the switch is the problem. If by chance a new switch doesnt fix your problem, then you have an electrical cross-short somewhere in the circuit.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeffs97 said:
If you managed to get the lights to go off by turning the switch on and off repeatdly, then more than likely the switch is the problem. If by chance a new switch doesnt fix your problem, then you have an electrical cross-short somewhere in the circuit.
To follow up, took the car into the shop and had a mechanic look at the issue. They couldn't replicate the problem and the temperatures had warmed up. Car's run fine ever since. Will keep the switch replacement idea in my back pocket for next winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts