Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove both and really can't tell the difference when driving. The large knobs for the climate control system are ugly on the Sport. The ride might feel a little smoother on the Limited. I also took an exit ramp at 75 MPH and both responed about the same. Am I missing something in the Sport. Can anyone tell me what the handling difference should be.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I felt the handling was a little different between the two. The Limited and the Base models' steering felt "soft" to me, which I'm not used to. I don't know how else to explain it. The steering on the Sport was more like the MTs I'm used to driving. As far as turns, the Sport seemed to handle the corners a little tighter (probably due to the 18" wheels, I'm guessing).

The Limited had a little smoother ride. I think it was Zoomie (??) that described the difference about going over bumps. I definitely felt the difference there.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
puttputt said:
I felt the handling was a little different between the two. The Limited and the Base models' steering felt "soft" to me, which I'm not used to. I don't know how else to explain it. The steering on the Sport was more like the MTs I'm used to driving. As far as turns, the Sport seemed to handle the corners a little tighter (probably due to the 18" wheels, I'm guessing).

The Limited had a little smoother ride. I think it was Zoomie (??) that described the difference about going over bumps. I definitely felt the difference there.
After driving the Limited and the Sport, I bought the Sport. The ride is firmer which I like and the only noticeable difference is going over R.R. tracks. As far as the bigger knobs on the AC, it depends on what you like. Some like bigger knobs and a stiffer ride, some don't.

·
Registered
458 Posts
D.P.G. said:
I drove both and really can't tell the difference when driving. The large knobs for the climate control system are ugly on the Sport. The ride might feel a little smoother on the Limited. I also took an exit ramp at 75 MPH and both responed about the same. Am I missing something in the Sport. Can anyone tell me what the handling difference should be.
What you might be missing is the 2 cylinders and the extra 102 horses to notice the difference. I noticed it right away when I test drove the 4 verses the 6. (Sports vs. Limited) Steering is tighter and corners flat. You can feel the G's with the 3.5L vs. 2.4L. If all goes accordingly in 3 days. I'll be cornering Hard and Plowing through the turns while Cranking on my big ugly knobs. :| Excellent choice in color and model etop. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Base, Sport and Limited RAVs can all come equipped with the I4 or V6 paired with front wheel drive or all wheel drive. Hope you didn't think different?

I'd expect the Sport's ride to be a little stiffer, due to the lower aspect tires (less rubber and air cushion between the wheels and the road) and the "Sport Tuned Suspension". Whether the Sport suspension just has stiffer bushings and shocks or something else is yet to be determined, I believe... :?:

Puttputt's observation of softer steering feel in the Base and Limited could be as simple as an adjustment made to the new electric steering system. Maybe the other models can be set to match? I know the steering feels a little less direct than I'm used to and I'd welcome a bit tighter feel...

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
looking at the specs I have, all 3 levels have the same 'ratio' steering so they should all *feel* the same. Whethwer they do or not is like Tony said maybe an adjustment.. Since it is electric power steering it probably can be adjusted in some way

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If you cant tell the difference in handling between the sport and the limited, then you should buy the limited. Chances are with your driving style, you will not be able to take advantage of the sport suspensions, therefore you might as well have a more comfortable ride. I could tell the difference right away during my test drive, less body lean during cornering and high speed lane changes.
As far as the HVAC controls is concerned, I much would rather have the knobs than those confusing and small buttons. This was a big turn off for me in the 4runner as well. Knobs are alot easier to operate while you are driving. At least Toyota is learning their lesson and made the buttons a bit larger in the RAV4 limited than the ones in the 4runner, although the dual climate control is nice to have.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not so much the dual climate control. "Oh, its cold over here!" Well lean over six inches to my side and its warmer over here!!" :lol: Its the AUTO climate control that is nice on the Limited. You don't even have to touch the buttons you may find confusing. You just put it on AUTO and it takes care of everything by itself. The only time I ever touch it is when it is especially cold outside I may kick the thermostat up a couple of degrees :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
That''s exactly it SS, the AUTO air is worth it the a/c stays on year round just pump up the temp. Those manual knobs you can never get a accurate cooling/heating like you say SHE's either too hot or I'm too cold. I just say take a sweater dear :shock:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have the auto climate control in my other car, I dont even use it. I leave it on manual all the time. I dont like the idea of the computer turing the AC on in the winter time and the computer adjusting the fan speed and recir air. As far as the dual climate control, I probably use it twice in 9 months.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly. I had the dual climate control in my Lexus GS400 and I did not use it much. Even less in the Winter.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere that Honda's a/c is connected to the defrost function, so whenever the defrost is turned on so is the a/c. The a/c seems to help get rid of the moisture (that causes the windows to fog up) faster. Also, it could be a benefit since the a/c is used mostly in the summer for some vehicles and then it is idle for 6 months or so. This constant stetch of 6 months without use, can sometimes cause it to break easier. Now keep in mind this is only second hand info/rumour. I just want to get other people's points of view on this idea.
:roll:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The a/c is connected to the defrost function on most modern cars. On some cars you can shut off the AC manually, some you cannot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts