Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2017 Limited Hybrid last week, with the standard stereo.

I am not satisfied with the sound. I have played with all the sound adjustments. It sounds like all the music is coming from the center of the dash. I know that all the speakers on the doors work..... It just has this monotone sound coming from one place. I have been driving for 35 years and have gotten use to better sound than this on all sorts of cars. Is it because of where the speakers are located? Is it the quality of the speakers?
In order to have some improvement I have to put ALL the sound to the rear speakers.
It's like all the sound is being bounced back into the center of the dashboard. And it is a brassy, tinny sound at times. Weird. I even turned off the radio a few times already because it bothers me. $35,000 and I don't want to use the radio.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Its unusual to find a Limited without the tech package and JBL system, although people complain about that system too. They both use the same head unit. There is a 3-band EQ available to use that does help even in that system.

Get some mp3s on a USB drive and listen to that, it'll sound a bit better. Otherwise what assistance are you expecting here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what assistance are you expecting here?
Well I was hoping someone might know something I don't about how to make the sound better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the JBL Green-edge stereo in my Limited and still have to set the fade 2 notches towards the rear to get a better balance. The system (JBL or not) is pretty bad in general.
I think the only fix is replacing the head unit and speakers.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I have the JBL in mine, BT music from my phone sounds much better than AM/FM/XM, best advice is go with USB or BT music.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You are not alone. Search this forum for RAV4 Stereo.
I have Limited with JBL. The whole infotainment system is horrible.
I will replace all components this summer. Possibly to Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, plus amplifier and all speakers.
Only the problem is RAV4 with JBL has different wiring.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Be thankful that you didn't pay extra for the JBL system. It is really a disappointment.
Best thing is to get a new system. I will be getting rid of my head unit, keeping the JBL amp and speakers, GAINING Apple CarPlay. The aftermarket head units have so many features, like multi-band tone controls, etc. If my plan works, hopefully I won't have to replace the speakers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Be thankful that you didn't pay extra for the JBL system. It is really a disappointment.
Best thing is to get a new system. I will be getting rid of my head unit, keeping the JBL amp and speakers, GAINING Apple CarPlay. The aftermarket head units have so many features, like multi-band tone controls, etc. If my plan works, hopefully I won't have to replace the speakers.
Wouldn't changing head unit take away the vehicle setting controls and other controls that's set from OEM head unit? That's what's holding me back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Take a trip to a local auto stereo installer and check it out. Apparently there are companies that make interfaces (small boxes with lots of wires) that plug into the car's existing wiring harness and the head unit. If you can DIY then check out Crutchfield to see what they offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts