Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions about my suddenly mysterious climate control:

1. The weather warmed up recently and the Auto button was lit, and it just kept and blowing and blowing warm air. So after 5-10 mins I hit the AC button -- Auto stayed on when I did this -- and the AC came on and things cooled off. Isn't the Auto supposed to control whether the AC is on/off? I was surprised to see the system trying to cool off the car *without* the AC (which made it hotter). Limited owners, does Auto control your AC on/off? The auto temp control worked great for me all winter when heating the car, but it never had to use the AC until recently. I keep the temp setting at 72.

2. When Auto is on and you press the round Auto button, does it go off? I thought ours used to do that, but maybe my memory is poor? When our Auto button is on and I hit the Auto button, Auto stays on. If I hit a button other than Auto, the Auto light goes off. Can someone try this and tell me what happens for you when you hit auto while the auto light is on?

R

·
0 Posts
Joshi said:
2. When Auto is on and you press the round Auto button, does it go off? I thought ours used to do that, but maybe my memory is poor? When our Auto button is on and I hit the Auto button, Auto stays on. If I hit a button other than Auto, the Auto light goes off. Can someone try this and tell me what happens for you when you hit auto while the auto light is on?
Pressing Auto again while it is on does not turn it off. Auto is only off when you press some other button.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
or when you press the OFF button..

Was the interior already 72 or cooler in it? Thats the only reason I can think of that the ac would NOT come on. If you shut it off and then pressed the AUTO button the ac will always come on... This is to be able to supply cool, dry air and if you turn the temp up it still gives you cool dry air but now its warmed. Did you happen to hit the ac button while it was on the AUTO mode? This would turn off the ac.. Otherwise the ac shoudl always be on when you are in the AUTO mode...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, glad to hear that hitting auto does nothing if it is on. Must have been faulty memory; it's been a long time since I've touched the climate controls...

Was the interior already 72 or cooler in it?
No, it was at least 80.

If you shut it off and then pressed the AUTO button the ac will always come on... Did you happen to hit the ac button while it was on the AUTO mode? This would turn off the ac.. Otherwise the ac shoudl always be on when you are in the AUTO mode..
I must have turned off the AC in Auto mode when we first got the vehicle, because I have never seen it come on. Now that I've pressed AC in auto mode, it's on and it is alwyas on when I'm in auto mode. When I crank the temp up to 85 degrees, the AC stays on (but hot air starts blowing). So, all of this is a long way of saying that, despite what the instructions imply, the auto climate control system apparently does NOT "manage" your AC button. It doesn't enable or disable it for you depending on the temp. It just "remembers" where you last set it.

If someone is seeing different behavior, let me know. It would make more sense to me that the auto system would manage the AC, using it when it needs it for cooling, but then turning it off when it is heating the car. Wouldn't that save the AC somewhat? We never had any problems with the inside of our car all winter with the AC off.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no it does not remember where it last was. Try this. Turn on AUTO. ac will come on. Now hit AC and it will go off. Now hit OFF. Hit AUTO again and the ac will come back on. See?? it did not remember anything. AC is sopossed to always come on with the auto button.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have auto climate control in my other car, i dont even use it. I leave it on manual all the time, its much easier to manage that way. To me, HVAC is like radio settings, I like as much control as possible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't use the Auto feature either. I find that it doesn't select the right airflow for what I want. And I usually keep my A/C off except in the summer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no it does not remember where it last was. Try this. Turn on AUTO. ac will come on. Now hit AC and it will go off. Now hit OFF. Hit AUTO again and the ac will come back on. See?? it did not remember anything. AC is sopossed to always come on with the auto button.
Hm, I can't figure out why the unit did not enable to AC automatically the other day when it was 80 degrees out. Oh well, i'll try to pay more attention to it from now on.

So when it's 15 degrees out and the AC is on, does it eat up add'l gas mileage and such. Iow, is it good to leave AC on all the time? I never had any problems with fogging windows w/AC off.

I love auto climate and don't want to ever own another vehicle w/out it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have a question regarding the temp controls

whith cars that have the temperature controlled knobs you can adjust the incoming cabin temp even when the fan isnt on. it doesnt seem like we can do this on the rav4 limited tho?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
garfull said:
i have a question regarding the temp controls

whith cars that have the temperature controlled knobs you can adjust the incoming cabin temp even when the fan isnt on. it doesnt seem like we can do this on the RAV4 limited tho?
Turn off the auto function.

P

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
Joshi- whne it is that cold the ac will not come on. Low ambiant temp switch will not allow it to..
That's not true. No matter HOW cold outside (and I know, I live in Wisconsin), the AC light comes on in auto mode. The compressor kicks in to dry the air. I have NEVER seen it NOT come on.

John

P

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
john the light always comes on but the compressor will not if it is too cold..
Thanks for the clarification. That seems strange to me. My worry has always been that it's destroying any chance at good gas mileage so i don't use it.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts