Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it is just me but I have yet found the "DeVinci Code" for the heat/AC system in my Limited RAV

Seems that if the outside temp is less than the desired inside temp you can select AUTO with the AC OFF but if the outside temp is greater than the desired inside temp THAN you need to select AUTO with the AC ON.

BUT,,,

If you don't want the fan on full blast and you select to reduce the fan speed AUTO turns OFF :doh:

Also all AUTO settings default to the center vents and if you select any other vent option AUTO turns OFF :doh:

What's the magic selection settings to simplify the process :wall

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flyingn said:
I think it is a perfect working hvac system. if I do not want ac on while in the auto mode i turn it off. I rteally do not understand what you issue is.. Can ya explain more??
Fan speed mostly.. the fan is too fast most the time on auto and when you select a lower fan speed it turns AUTO OFF

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
oh ok. When in AUTO mode and you hot the fan speed button it overides the AUTO mode and defers to manual mode. Its normal. Try this.. When in AUTO and you want the fan speed higher, lower the cabin temperature settin a few degrees. The furthur the setting is away from outside ambiant temp the higher the fan speed goes to attemp to get the cabin to the set point:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I don't like on our limited is like mentioned above, if the outside temp is warmer than inside temp, the "auto-recirculate" inside air automatically switches on, instead of letting in fresh outside air which is how you left it last time you turned the key off.........

·
Registered
269 Posts
I told my wife the same thing, don't adjust the fan, adjust the temperature setting and let the automatic system do what it is supposed to do. It works great this way.

·
Registered
165 Posts
summerwind said:
Maybe it is just me but I have yet found the "DeVinci Code" for the heat/AC system in my Limited RAV

If you don't want the fan on full blast and you select to reduce the fan speed AUTO turns OFF :doh:

Also all AUTO settings default to the center vents and if you select any other vent option AUTO turns OFF :doh:
I'm with you. I end up using manual mode. This is not my 1st car to have auto climate control, but the logic is one of the worst including the re-circulate mode that had been discussed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Welll most of the cars I have owned with Auto A/C jump out of auto if you change the fan speed directly. Best way is to raise or lower the temp.

Usually Re-circuate is a seperate thing you can select even if in Auto and system stays in Auto.

·
Registered
165 Posts
JIMD4 said:
Welll most of the cars I have owned with Auto A/C jump out of auto if you change the fan speed directly. Best way is to raise or lower the temp.
You're right, but even I set the temperature 2C higher than I used to for other cars, the fan speed stays high for a longer period.

B

·
0 Posts
Don't have my RAV4 yet (waiting for the '07s) but on a recent business trip I had a rental with automatic A/C. After the car sat all day in the sun, when I first got into it the fan could blow you into the back seat if you didn't have your seatbelt fastened. And it was on recirculate because it's trying to cool the car off fast. Seems like this is TTWIW for automatic A/C in almost all cars, not just the RAV4.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One thing I don't care for with the auto is that the system won't let you chose the vent combination you want. It defaults to dash vents only. I like air moving near my feet also but if you engage the bi-level vent selection the auto temp disengages.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
umm. if you choose to change the vents while in auto it still works as an auto hvac.. Nothing will change but the vent you choose..

and th events are NOT face vents as a default. If you are trying to heat the cabin the vent changes to feet. If you change the setpoint to abient temp the vent will change to a feet/face mix.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The issue I have is that the outside temperature guage is very slow to respond to the outside temperature. For example, starting the Rav in a hot garage the outside temperature guide registers 94 but then takes 5 minutes after leaving the garage to show the actual 84 temperature.

P

·
0 Posts
thecat said:
Mine doesn't work like that. If I hit the bi-level button the auto light goes out.
flyingn said:
true. The auto light goes out but then what happens? .... nothing. it still stays the same fan speed, temp setpoint.. So basically .. it still IS in auto.. right???
I don't think it's still in "auto", is it?. Let's say the cabin is 80 degrees.
Scenario A: I turn on the auto-air to 70. It stays in auto and starts lowering the fan speed as the cabin approaches 70.
Scenario B: I turn on the auto-air to 70, then turn on bi-level (which makes the auto light go out/off). Now, as the cabin appraches 70, fan speed does not change unless I change it.

Am I missing something here? Maybe my Scenario A doesn't accurately reflect what "auto" does, but that is how I understood it. Thanks for help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts