Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

How can you tell if you have a limited slip rear differential. In the owners manual for my 2005 Rav (canadian), it says to ask your dealer if you need to know. I never seen it listed as an option anywhere, so without consulting my dealer, how can I find out?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Good question... wish I knew the answer. My suggestion... ask your dealer... then let us know HOW they tell :lol:

I think they do it by checking the VIN number :?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer tells me: "5 speed manuals have it, autos don't."

Good thing I like driving the stick.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
5-speed manuals might have a limited-slip CENTRE differential, but the limited-slip REAR differential was only available in Canada for 2001 & 2002 as part of the D package (Limited). Then they dropped it for 2003+.

I almost got into a 2003 RAV4 and remember this well--the dealer told me they figured it was a feature they could remove without much complaint from customers, and they were right.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Yes bmorton is right. I bought the 2002 Special Edition (D) package in
December of that year to save $4,000 CAN and remembered that they removed that feature on the 2003.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sooooo, my dealer was stringing me along cause he had no idea what I was trying to ask him... Open or closed differential in the back end, how hard is that? Now, after that question, he has to try to pretend to know the answer and tell me, "manual closed, auto open". I'll call him personally when I get stuck on the side of a road with two tires in the mud and two and dry ground. grrrr.

Now I need to find lockers....

Anyone know where to find diff lockers for this rig?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was wondering the same here about the LSD. Hope someone can confirm. 05 5-sp Chili.

Another thing was the ‘Slip indicator light’. I don’t see it blink or stay on when I was driving over some big ice patches at the parking lot the other morning. Stop-and-go and fast counter steer turns, no lights, nothing, all I can heard was the mechanical noise.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know, the chili edition does not have Traction Control or ABS brakes. This was a key consideration in our choosing this trim level. I want to be in control of the brakes, not leave it up to the computer.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traction Control Beeping

My traction control beeps at me every time I go up my driveway.

Yes, it's slipping on the stones when the beeping starts, right at the point in the driveway where the slope is about 30° at the hair pin curve where you start to slide sideways.

Is this beeping telling me something?

I guess you can say this vehicle goes off road a bit. Winter is going to be fun!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this beeping telling me something?
I would think this is telling you your wheels are spinning. In the mean time, the car is putting the breaks on for you. Myself, I like to be able to spin the tires if I want to.... I have a foot, it can hit the brake if so needed. But thats just the way I like to drive, being in control myself.

Nice rims and rubber on the Rav, looks like a sure answer for snow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It would be real hard to have the TSC with a limited slip, but anything is possible.

Jack up the back of your RAV4 under the center pumpkin. Put the vehicle in neutral and spin 1 rear wheel. If the other side turns the SAME WAY, it is a limited slip. If it either doesn't turn, or turns opposite, it is an open diff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Inzane said:
Sooooo, my dealer was stringing me along cause he had no idea what I was trying to ask him... Open or closed differential in the back end, how hard is that? Now, after that question, he has to try to pretend to know the answer and tell me, "manual closed, auto open". I'll call him personally when I get stuck on the side of a road with two tires in the mud and two and dry ground. grrrr.

A trick when you've got slipping situations is to actually press the brakes lightly and accelerator at the same time so that you restrict the spin but also get the power to transfer to the other wheel with grip. Easy on automatics but very hard to do on a manual.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Inzane said:

Yea I was looking for a diff locker also, but I have never found one. does anyone by anychance know where to find one??? :?:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nevermind65 said:
It would be real hard to have the TSC with a limited slip, but anything is possible.
What is TSC, I got the chili edition specifically cause it didn't have ABS or traction control. Just me, but I like to be in control.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To tell if you have an LSD:

1. Block the front tires.

2. Put the rear of the vehicle in the air.

3. Transmission in neutral.

4. Turn one wheel by hand. IF they turn the same direction it's an LSD, if they turn opposite direction it's not.

Something tells me the 4.1s had an electric locker? in 1998. There's no reason why that carrier would not fit in the 4.2s, you'd just have to wire it all up.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the absence of a diff lock or limited slip mor traction control(10+ years ago they were not common even on big 4x4's). The method indicated above works very well but very comical for the first time at least for me:

"Either lightly press down on the brake pedal or use the hand brake gently(alot harder without locking the rear wheels) while accelerating slowly(1st/2nd) and this will slow down the spinning wheels and fool the open diff into sending power equally or to the other side."

It takes alot of practise and it is easier on an auto from logical point of view(dont have to worry about a clutch especially while climbing a steep hill) but dont forget those who drive manuals are accustomed to using both feet so it may be easier for them.

Course would be nice to have a locking diff available I agree but unless Toyota makes one, I dought anyone else will. The RAV is not known as a offroad vehicle so no offroad company would make one sadly(unless you commission it) as it would not sell.

Cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts
Another trick with an automatic is if you get in a situation where one rear wheel is spinning and the other isn't, ..... you apply the parking brake just enough so it fools the rear end into thinking both wheels have traction and bingo your out. How much brake depends on how stuck you are.

Did this once just fooling around but I try not to get stuck in the first place. Usually mash it right before the point comes when you come to a complete stop in some tough snow or mud. Works everytime for me.

Later. M.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheWanderer said:
To tell if you have an LSD:

1. Block the front tires.

2. Put the rear of the vehicle in the air.

3. Transmission in neutral.

4. Turn one wheel by hand. IF they turn the same direction it's an LSD, if they turn opposite direction it's not.

Something tells me the 4.1s had an electric locker? in 1998. There's no reason why that carrier would not fit in the 4.2s, you'd just have to wire it all up.
no that's false unless there is an electric lock in the differential (and thats not an lsd differential) . I have a lsd on a jimmy 1986 (and it works perfectly) and if i jack the rear and turn one wheel, the other will turn the other directions, but for the lsd to work it needs one wheel slipping at least 3-5 km/h than it will block the two wheel together (it works that way in a torsen differential) There is also other types of lsd differential of course

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to bring up the old post. Read some false info on 1st page.
The truth is if you have LSD, the other wheel will turn opposite direction like carmusic said.
Does anyone know the factory LSD is 1, 1.5 or 2 way? I don't think the factroy one is 2 way tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts