Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Limited slip Rav4

19564 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  eodgator
Hi. I'm currently looking on purchasing a rav4 and the person I'm going to buy it off of says it has a limited slip differential in the rear. Its a 98 by the way if that helps. Is there such thing with a rav4 with limited slip differential?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
It's called a torson diff. Similar to a limited slip one but better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reactions: 1
Ok. I'm wondering does it act almost the same way as a limited slip acts like. Another thing is the center locking differentials. That would make the power to the front tire be as much as the power to the rear am i right?
I just bought a 1998 with 170k on it. Manual transmission.

It has a diff lock on it.
I was surprised to find it on the RAV. I thought such items were only on the FJ series. It just locks rear wheels from what I understand.

Some other readings below that may be helpful.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-...-few-quick-questions-centre-differential.html
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/90275-how-common-center-diff-lock.html
A limited slip diff I what it says! The limit one wheel can slip in relation to the other is limited to a pre determined amount ,Say 40%for example. Controlled by friction pads within the diff. These can wear out with excessive use. With a Torsen diff all the power is available to the non slipping wheel. It works on the principle that a worm can drive a worm gear but not the other way round.
The other thing to be carful of is that on a Torsen diff if you turn one output shaft the other one will turn the opposite way, just like a normal diff. Where as on a limited slip diff both output shafts will turn the same way.

If you're in the US just look up the VIN at a toyota dealer.
They'll be able to tell you the options it had come with. If it came with LSD, it'll be listed.
Hi. I'm currently looking on purchasing a rav4 and the person I'm going to buy it off of says it has a limited slip differential in the rear. Its a 98 by the way if that helps. Is there such thing with a rav4 with limited slip differential?
YES---look on the case: on the upward-facing, driver's side, toward the front, there will be a stamped number. You might have to have the ebay seller clean it. The number again is stamped, so its not likely to have "disappeared". Its about one inch tall:
If you see a "1", it is NOT an LSD.
If you see a "2", or "7" (some of the "2" look a little like "7"), then it IS an LSD.
You cannot use the usual LSD test on a Torsen diff, because you will not get counter-rotation. Here is a video that might be helpful for you:
That video shows how the counter-spin test doesn't apply to Torsen diffs. The one of the left (the first one seen in the video, stamped #2) is the Torsen.
Also, as Batman said, see if you can get the VIN from the source Rav, and call Toyota--but you still would also want to verify the stamp. If you have a "2" stamp, you're good.
(By the way, I know this because I have a factory-installed LSD on my Rav, which was purchased new; I've seen the stamp, and called Toyota, and all of that! There is a way to know by the axle code sequence in the VIN, too, but you don't have the VIN. Also, when my Rav was very, very new, there was a sticker on the fill plug that said "LSD additive" or something like that; it has since fallen off, of course!)
Lastly, I totally recommend these diff's! When you get it, you need to be sure to refill with gear oil and an LSD additive: even if the gear oil says "LSD additive included", you need MORE.
I actually use Motorcraft XL3 Friction Modifier, part C8AZ-19B546-A XL-3 (you can get it on Amazon) with Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 gear oil. I was tipped off to use XL3 by the only Toyota dealer I trust: Toyota, strangely, doesn't make an LSD additive, so different dealers use different things. But I've been using XL3 for several years, and there is no problems--no "shudder" or "chatter" as occurs if you dont' have the right mix.
Buy 1 quart of gear oil (synthetic is not recommended, it causes shudder). Pour in half the quart of gear oil, then the whole 4 oz of LSD additive, then the rest of the gear oil. Its splash lubricated, so overfilling is not really an issue-- you can get it all in there.
Here is some other info you might need:
Drain plug part #90341-18035
Fill plug part #90341-18032
Both need a brass/alu gasket, part #12157-10010.
Torque spec on the plugs is 36 ft-lbs.
You'll like this improvement!! Please take pictures and let us all know how it goes!!
See less See more
I got mine out of a Toyota Celica st4
I took a chance and imported the diff case and output shafts from Japan. Got a normal diff of eBay and an in the process of building it up.

Is friction modifier necessary for torque sensing rear diff?

YES---look on the case: on the upward-facing, driver's side, toward the front, there will be a stamped number. You might have to have the ebay seller clean it. The number again is stamped, so its not likely to have "disappeared". Its about one inch tall:
If you see a "2", or "7" (some of the "2" look a little like "7"), then it IS an LSD.
You cannot use the usual LSD test on a Torsen diff, because you will not get counter-rotation. Here is a video that might be helpful for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWreMAK6d6c
That video shows how the counter-spin test doesn't apply to Torsen diffs. The one of the left (the first one seen in the video, stamped #2) is the Torsen.
Also, as Batman said, see if you can get the VIN from the source Rav, and call Toyota--but you still would also want to verify the stamp. If you have a "2" stamp, you're good.
(By the way, I know this because I have a factory-installed LSD on my Rav, which was purchased new; I've seen the stamp, and called Toyota, and all of that! There is a way to know by the axle code sequence in the VIN, too, but you don't have the VIN. Also, when my Rav was very, very new, there was a sticker on the fill plug that said "LSD additive" or something like that; it has since fallen off, of course!)
Lastly, I totally recommend these diff's! When you get it, you need to be sure to refill with gear oil and an LSD additive: even if the gear oil says "LSD additive included", you need MORE.
I actually use Motorcraft XL3 Friction Modifier, part C8AZ-19B546-A XL-3 (you can get it on Amazon) with Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 gear oil. I was tipped off to use XL3 by the only Toyota dealer I trust: Toyota, strangely, doesn't make an LSD additive, so different dealers use different things. But I've been using XL3 for several years, and there is no problems--no "shudder" or "chatter" as occurs if you dont' have the right mix.
Buy 1 quart of gear oil (synthetic is not recommended, it causes shudder). Pour in half the quart of gear oil, then the whole 4 oz of LSD additive, then the rest of the gear oil. Its splash lubricated, so overfilling is not really an issue-- you can get it all in there.
You'll like this improvement!! Please take pictures and let us all know how it goes!!

I just changed the gear oil in the rear diff of our 1997 5sp manual RAV4.

The magnetic drain plug had some grey 'paste' on it, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Before changing it, I did a bunch of reading online and referred to the owner's manual. The manual makes no mention of LSD additive. Online posts, here and elsewhere, were mixed -- with some calling for the use of a friction modifier, and others saying that a friction modifier is only necessary for LSD's with clutch packs.

That's always been my understanding -- that torque sensing diffs use ordinary GL-5 gear oil (90W or 80W-90 in this case). LSD's that use clutch packs can have problems with shudder or chatter, but not Torsen diffs -- as far as I know.

Then again, I'm not a professional mechanic.

Any opinions on whether a friction modifier is necessary with a Torsen-type diff?

While I had it up on the rack, I turned the rear tires. What I found was that sometimes the tire on the opposite side would turn the opposite direction -- as you'd expect. However, sometimes the front right tire would turn (the opposite direction). Just path of least resistance?
See less See more
Might want to add photos of this torsen diff. This is what it looks like inside the case. See attachments.

***Photo is from here, or maybe from 6G Celicas, forgot where I downloaded these photos.

Attachments

See less See more
Proper oil for Torsen-type rear diff

Just normal oil in a torsen.
Thanks Xauterus.

I can see where there might be some confusion, since regardless of the technology -- torque sensing, clutches, viscous coupling units, etc -- they are generally all referred to as "limited slip" differentials.

Back in the day, "posi-traction" (or just 'posi') was the most common, and it used/uses clutch packs and required a friction modifier (FM). That may explain why many people think all limited-slip diffs require a FM.

Judging by the posts I read elsewhere, it seemed that some people did not even realize that the RAV uses a Torsen-type rear diff. They just assumed it had clutches.

It seemed a bit odd that when I rotated either rear tire, the front right tire would turn (in the opposite direction) -- while the rear tire on the opposite side would stay stationary. I'm assuming that's normal (I never noticed it before) -- that in this case the path of least resistance was to the front right wheel?
See less See more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWreMAK6d6c
The 2 on the differential carrier cover means it's a Torsen is incorrect, my old one has a raised 1 and the used one sent to me had a raised 2, both are regular differentials. The ONLY way to make sure is to open up the rear cover and being most junk yards that ship don't want to do that I'll have to wait and shop around till I find one.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.