Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I need to purchase some winter rims and trying to find out what the best dimensions are for a good appearance and ride quality in the snow. I'm not going to buy steel rims since I really don't like the look. Was trying to find some older used RAV4 rims without much luck. Thinking about going aftermarket this way I can pretty much buy any size I want that could fit.

The stock dimensions for the 2016 Limited are 18 x 7-1/2. I would like to drop down the 17" or maybe even 16". I know on the LE the dimensions are 17 x 6-1/2 and those should fit and still look alright.

Also, how annoying is it not to use TPMS for the winter wheels?

Thanks.

wheel pattern: 5x114.3
center bore: 60.1mm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Searched this topic already on the forum. Lots of tire discussion, not much about wheel width, thanks though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just bought a snow tire package from Tirerack, my 13 limited has the 18s on it so I went one size down to 17s
Latitude X Ice 2s 225/65/rR17 and American Racing 904s in black

Didnt get the TPSM sensors, think they are a rip off. not required in NH for state inspection so I passed on them.
hopefully not an audible alarm with not having them. all my past cars it was just an idiot light that was easily ignored.

I into them for just under 1k including shipping......they just came in today ! Cant wait to put them on this weekend !

You can use the Tirerack website and plug in your info and they will give you sizing options, or call and ask

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious if the ride is a lot smoother with 17" versus 18" rims.
Rumor has it that more sidewall improves the ride.
I wonder by how much? alot? a little?
Its noticable, not huge or anything but you can tell the difference.the ride is certainly smoother. not sure if its the new tires compared to the old Toyo open countrys
they have about 28k on them.

Ive only put 40 miles on since switching over to the 17s.

and the question about the TPSM being annoying......no not at all. it started flashing after 15 or so miles and stayed on from there
when I started the car on the way home, it flashed and went right to solid on. nothing audible

I parked in the garage tonight, be interesting it it syncs back up with the 18s while its in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts