Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Hoping for some advice or a point in the right direction as I am about at my wits end here.

I have a 2001 Rav4, 4WD, Auto. (USA)

Have been having issues with this car for a little over a year now, and after reading most of the threads on this forum I have figured out that I was having the same ECM issues as most everyone else on here. Symptoms such as

Loss of power going uphill,
Low Highway speeds,
Trouble Downshifting
Occasional rough shifts ( but very rare )
Failure to turn over engine if it was just turned off recently.

I decided to try to replace my ecm.

I went with one of the cheap sites offering to send a refurb, then send the core back for a deposit. The company said they needed the part number, so I unhooked the ecm to get a part number, then plugged it back in.

REAL PROBLEM STARTS HERE.

I left to go to work a few hours after disconnecting/reconnecting the original ecm. As soon as I pulled out of my driveway I realized that I could not accelerate at all. Complete power loss when pressing the gas pedal. I turned around and parked it.

One odd thing I noticed was that the car now turns over much quicker than it used to. Almost immediately.

Ended up getting a new ecm from circuitboardmedics, (who were great. Fast, and efficient. I even called and asked about the problem I am having, and while they couldn't help, they were very nice, and said they will check in soon to see if anything has changed.)

I installed the new ecm and the symptoms are still the same.

Idle is normal.
Loss of power when pressing the gas.
If I only press the gas slightly (about an inch or so,) it will slowly accelerate, but as soon as the pedal goes further, the car starts to sputter and slow down.
It will not stall no matter how hard I try to push through the sputter.
During sputtering the power steering seems to be negatively affected.
The power loss will occur while driving or in park/neutral.

I read on here someone was having similar issues because the battery polarity was reversed and some fuses blew. Could this be the case even though all I have done is unplug the ecu, and unhook the battery?

Am I even in limp mode?

Also wondering if has something to do with Throttle body, or position sensor.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If I think of / notice anything else I will update.

Thank you,
Justin.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
Welcome! And sorry we didn't get your thread approved for over two hours. This will bring it to the top so maybe you'll get responses.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Limp mode is only true when there is a fault. Were you able to pull any codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I unplugged The MAF Sensor to see if the car ran any better but it just shut off immediately.

Went to AAP and they read the codes. They said Mass Air Flow Sensor, and Air Flow Temp Sensor.

Cleaning the MAF Sensor now to see if there are any results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts