Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 97 AWD rav4 has 94,000 miles on it. can you guys give me a list of things that would needed to be changed with this milage. sensors? belts? etc???

·
Registered
176 Posts
Has the water pump, timing belt, and belt idler bearings been replaced? If not you are due to have that done.
Also power steering pump belt, ault/AC belt.
Plugs and plug wires should have been replace about 60,000 if not you need to replace them and the '97 has a distributor cap and rotor. Other sensors when the computer tells you through the check enging light.
If it is an automatic it is time for the third fluid and filter change.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks, im gonna go ahead and do the timing belt, water pump and all associated parts. the cap, rotor and plugs are new.

what should the timing be set at? and can i advance it for more performance with higer octane?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is an automatic it is time for the third fluid and filter change.
Are you refering to a filter in the auto transmission? If so how do you change it?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.0 timing belt - if hasn't been replaced
2.0 spark plugs
3.0 spark plug wires
4.0 oil change
5.0 fluids: coolant/wiper washer/brake fluids
6.0 rotate tires
7.0 brakes -if needed
8.0 fuel filter
9.0 transmission lube -if automatic

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace spark plug wires?

How can you tell if you need to replace your spark plug wires (other than age)? What are the symptoms of wires that are going bad?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The insulation on the wires starts to crack and the connectors corrode.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's honestly tough to tell just by vision check. you'll have to perform a spark test.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the plug wires are really bad, you can see arcing when the engine is running and you're in a dark place...

The real way to test wires is to get out your multimeter, set it to resistance (ohms) and see what the number is.

Bogatyr

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always replace my spark plugs/wires and fuel filters every 30k miles. This prevents a lot of things. I don't need to check them for ohms or signs of old age-it's like waiting for it to deteriorate, not a smart move. I would encourage everyone to replace them every 30k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts