Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the photos and the video, I am sure you had fun, something that I doubt that I will be trying with the new RAV4 Hybrid. At least not while it is this new.:laugh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yip, it was quite fun. We've taken our 2013 le some pretty crazy places. This is probably the toughest the 2015 xle has seen it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Your 4.1 sure, the 4.4s not so much. Ground clearance of a sedan. OK for "soft roading".

Agree but I was watching a review video for the new RAV4. It is way more capable than the rivals. It sends power to different wheels very intelligently and also has a central locker. I think with a little lift and off road tires it will do great.

For me, I bought a gen1 last year on purpose and restored it to new. I think I could have bought a gen3 RAV4 for what I have in my 1998. Once I put a new engine in it, I will for sure bring it close to the price of a used 2012/2013. LOL. .. but I am fascinated with its uniqueness on the road and its capabilities.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree but I was watching a review video of the new RAV4. It is way more capable than the rivals. It sends power to different wheels very intelligently and also has a central locker. I think with a little lift and off road tires it will do great.

For me, I bought a gen1 last year on purpose and restored it to new. I think I could have bought a gen3 RAV4 for what I have in my 1998.
This is also true, the rav 4 is more capable than most of the other vehicles in its class. I did buy a 4.1 2 years ago but it needed a lot of work. So I sold that. But there are vehicles like the Subaru crosstrek xv and the Jeep renegade that are a lot more capable. With a 2in lift the xv has the same ground clearance as a Jeep wrangler.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is also true, the rav 4 is more capable than most of the other vehicles in its class. I did buy a 4.1 2 years ago but it needed a lot of work. So I sold that. But there are vehicles like the Subaru crosstrek xv and the Jeep renegade that are a lot more capable. With a 2in lift the xv has the same ground clearance as a Jeep wrangler.

Most first gens need a lot of work and that is why you see solid looking ones in the junkyard. Most of them were never really taken care of in USA. 4.1 in other countries (especially 3rd world) is way more respected where its capabilities are fully tested.
In USA, people are after a "big n bad" image so the 4.1 mostly got ignored.
In 10 years I plan to be the only one driving it in mint condition. :D
The best thing about it is that it is almost as capable as a real SUV with a central locking differential and you can get 24mpg and it will leave you money left over for future trips rather than blowing all in one trip. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts